Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Dollar Commemorating The 100th Anniversary Of Women's Suffrage On Sale August 18

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 1,944Next Topic
Page: of 4
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Silver Dollar Commemorating The 100th Anniversary Of Women's Suffrage On Sale August 18
2020 August 18

US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) will accept orders for 2020 Women's Suffrage Centennial Silver Dollar products beginning at noon EDT on August 18, the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which gave women the right to vote. Public Law 116-71 authorizes the Mint to strike and issue this coin to commemorate the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Available product options are below.

CODE PRODUCT OPTION                    INTRO PRICE  REGULAR PRICE

20CJ Proof Silver Dollar               $69.00       $74.00

20CK Uncirculated Silver Dollar        $64.00       $69.00

20CM Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set N/A          $120.00

Introductory pricing will be in effect from noon EDT on August 18, 2020, through 3 p.m. EDT on September 18, 2020, after which regular pricing will be in effect.

"This stunning coin pays homage to the many pioneers, activists, and foot soldiers who fought bravely and tenaciously for decades to make this Constitutional amendment a reality," said United States Mint Director David J. Ryder.

According to United States Senator Marsha Blackburn (TN), sponsor of the Senate version of the authorizing legislation, "the 2020 centennial of the Nineteenth Amendment is a rare moment to celebrate the milestone that made it possible for women to finally have a voice in government. Ninety-nine years after women gained the right to vote, I became the first woman from Tennessee to serve in the United States Senate. This commemorative coin serves as an important reminder of the history that led us to where we are today. I am honored to have worked with Senator Gillibrand and Representatives Stefanik and Lawrence to commemorate the pioneers and trailblazers who made it possible for us to be members of these chambers."

Representative Elise Stefanik (NY-21), sponsor of the House version of the authorizing legislation, said, "I am honored to celebrate the important work of women's suffrage activists through the Women's Suffrage Commemorative Coin. One of the most vocal advocates for women's suffrage, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was born and raised in Johnstown, New York, and I am looking forward to celebrating the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th amendment in my district this year. I thank my colleagues Senators Gillibrand and Blackburn and Representative Lawrence, who I worked with in a bipartisan fashion to advance this legislation and create this coin in order to commemorate the important work of women suffragists in their fight for equality."

The Women's Suffrage Centennial Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set features a 99 percent silver medal with its own unique designs, which will be available only as part of this set. Mintage for this set is limited to 10,000 units, with orders limited to one per household for the first 24 hours of sales. The Mint will release a bronze version of the medal in 2021.

The obverse (heads) of the Women's Suffrage Centennial Silver Dollar features overlapping profiles of three distinct women. Each woman is wearing a different type of hat to symbolize the many decades the suffrage movement spanned. The figure in the foreground is wearing a cloche hat with an art deco pattern and a button with the year of the 19th Amendment's ratification. The inscriptions "LIBERTY," "$1," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" encircle the design.

The coin's reverse (tails) shows "2020" being dropped into a ballot box, styled with art deco elements to indicate the artistic style of the era. "VOTES FOR WOMEN" is inscribed inside a circle on the front of the box. The inscriptions "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and "IN GOD WE TRUST" are on the ballot box.

The obverse of the medal features a child's reaching hand, amid adult women's hands and arms holding up a heavy weight—a kind of "foundation" of stone. Women's suffrage was a struggle that continued across generations, with countless hands turned to the task. "WOMEN'S SUFFRAGE CENTENNIAL" is inscribed.

The medal's reverse honors the Women's Suffrage Movement by juxtaposing the text of the 19th Amendment, ratified in 1920, with the flag of the United States. "1920" is inscribed.

Both the silver dollar and the medal were produced at the United States Mint at Philadelphia. A Certificate of Authenticity is included with each product option.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ugly, cartoon woman at the top of the obverse ruins any appeal of this coin for me. Plus, the half moon above the ballot box on the reverse is nothing but filler. Why didn't they make the entire field an art deco line background, symmetric or asymmetric? The mint can do much better than efforts like this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the beginning of 2020 I was a buyer for this coin. It remains to be seen what the price of silver is going to be at issue, but I don't think it's going to be pretty.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8973 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yuk
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who were they targeting by producing this coin? I really believe they could have done so much better.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who were they targeting by producing this coin?

More and more I feel I am not the target of much marketing these days.

However, coins almost always look better in hand than on these 2D renderings that we get.

So we'll see, but still....
Learn More...
United States
90063 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, coins almost always look better in hand than on these 2D renderings that we get.
I agree.

I am looking forward to buying the silver dollar and medal set. I loved the American Legion 100th Anniversary Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set set I got last year.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love this piece. I may/not get one because my budget is tighter these days and I don't have the best luck getting spot/haze-free silver, but I'd be happy to have one.

Quote:
The ugly, cartoon woman at the top of the obverse ruins any appeal of this coin for me.

That "ugly, cartoony woman" could well be someone's grandmother and she was likely beautiful in her day.

Quote:
Who were they targeting by producing this coin?

Likely, they're trying to expand the demographics of the collecting population. I'll wager most collectors are older white men so coins more appealing to other demographics can only help the hobby expand.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
90063 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... coins more appealing to other demographics can only help the hobby expand.
I agree.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy cow, those prices. These things aren't going to expand anything except possibly government coffers, my optimistic friends. This hobby is living though collapsing. Nobody (very few) outside this shrinking group will have the unquenchable desire to own them except those who already have the umpteen-piece set or one in progress. Rather than expand the hobby, it is one (two) more pieces of mediocre high priced 'stuff' that will only shrink the collector base as the set becomes unmanageable and increasingly unattractive.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4641 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I agree. It's been demonstrated multiple times over the years. We need to see the actual coin before rushing to judge.

(And besides, last time I looked around, not everyone was beautiful! )

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And besides, last time I looked around, not everyone was beautiful!

That doesn't mean that an ugly face should be on a coin. But, I suppose you should go ahead and buy this coin because it will most likely not meet its mintage limit. And you all know exactly what low mintages mean to coin values. Enjoy, but I will take a hard pass.
Learn More...
United States
90063 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Women's Suffrage Centennial 2020 Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set has been purchased.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got myself one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was a little confused about which topic was the current topic, but I found it!

Quote:
The Women's Suffrage Centennial 2020 Proof Silver Dollar and Medal Set has been purchased.

Same here! I ordered my set right at 12:00 and was in and out in under a minute. I have the full confirmation email as well. I'm excited to see it in hand, so hopefully it won't come via Smartpost!
Learn More...
United States
90063 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the full confirmation email as well.
Excellent! Got mine at 12:20 PM.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 1,944Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05