Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Quarter Strange Grooves Under And Around Date And Possible DD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 509Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
96 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

found this 2019 quarter while roll searching the other day the grooves appear to be under the datr like they were there before striking took place and it also appears to be DDed I'll let you call it thanks for looking
Learn More...
United States
17113 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tbc, are you sure those circular marks aren't from a coin wrapping machine? Maybe give us an overall pic of the obv too? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I cant seem to make the whole coin small enough and still be able to see the affected ared these are token thru a microscope and that's why they are partial coin and I dont think the Mark's are from a counter if that were the case I would expect to see the numbers in the date to be damaged aswell thanks for looking
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like Die Deterioration on the incuse letters, Machine Damage on the raised letters and, as noted above, crimping arm damage from a wrapping machine on the date. Full images of both sides of a coin make it much easier to comment on possible errors.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46184 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling and die wear. Keep in mind on incuse devices, the devices are raised on the die. So any polishing would altered these first as they are the highest points on the die, then the fields and then the sub devices and deep into the die the deeper devices. (Just as on a coin the opposite happens. The highest devices are the deepest devices on the die. The highest devices on the die is thus deeper (incuse) on the coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I deleted this response and redid it
Edited by tooboocoo
08/11/2020 02:05 am
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little confused ,I thought that split seriffs was a sign of being doubled died and MD having shelf like appearance these pictures look like so many other DDed coin pictures iv seen its seen coins with not even this much separation considered DDs? And how would the groovs get under the date unless they were on the planchet before it was hammerd?
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a response to Spencer's post ,I almost thought the same thing at first but this quarter was in the roll not on an end so I dont think that was a factor thanks for looking
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2020  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the first picture, I see MD, but also split serifs on the IBER of Liberty. Might need a more clear picture to see if they are split for sure.

Second picture looks like MD on the date.

Third picture the O looks doubled. Doesn't look flat or shelf-like, because it seems to come off the coin just as far as the device itself, plus the shadow line.

Fourth picture, the R looks doubled because of the shadow and rounded texture of the device.

Quote:
And how would the groovs get under the date unless they were on the planchet before it was hammerd?

Quote:
,I almost thought the same thing at first but this quarter was in the roll not on an end

If you look closely, theres slight circulation wear on the date. It's possible that the coin "was" on the end of a roll at some point, then got circulated for a while, shipped back and re-rolled not at the end of a roll.

Overall I think this could possibly be MD and DDO, but we would need better "clear" pictures to be sure (It's hard to tell with the newer style of coins and doesn't normally double near the rims because of the single squeeze method)

I'm still new here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2020  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop great explanation. .

It's hard to imagine how the coin is minted. If you don't stop n think. The die is opposite than the coin itself. Field is higher on the die. The field gets clean/ground first. That's how the letters and/or numbers get filled with grease after die cleaning.
Thats my simpleton way of putting it.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In reference to the circular grooves ,if they had been on the planchett before striking wouldnt the groovs disappear as the coin is hammered, where the incuse numbers and lettering is on the die seems like when the planchet is struck if there were any imperfections on the planchet that the image on the die would cancel anything that in results of hammering would leave a raised field am I missing something or looking at this wrong thanks again
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05