Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1873 Newfoundland 5 Cent...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 316Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just bought this little honey. I'm thinking solid VF, maybe EF in the reverse?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50523 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-25, but concerned about the obverse surfaces - possible ED?
Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were several other pictures in the original listing - I think it's just uneven toning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30 very nice
Pillar of the Community
Canada
538 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Looks VF30 to me and simply toned. Toning is not environmental damage, else all brilliantly colored coins caused by toning would be considered as damaged and they are not.

This is a 1873 NF2 variety (identified by having no H mintmark and no dots before or after Newfoundland) and the least rarest of the Newfoundland 5c 1873's, which is almost ridiculous to say since all three varieties are extremely scarce.

The coloring on this looks awesome to me. Like its supposed to be since its almost 150 years old.

Very nice example and a keeper to be sure! Thanks for sharing it.
Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @TheDeductable - I'm pleased with it. Incidentally, I had a conversation with Barry Borsellino about this coin (sent the pictures as well). He is of the opinion that the 1873 obv #2 is more scarce than generally appreciated - possibly even as scarce as the 1873H. His numbers come from his parsing of the assorted auction sites. Could be something to that? I don't actually know enough about how Charlton and other such sources come up with their numbers about relative scarcity.

In any event, this one is a substantial upgrade over my other 1873 obv 2....that guy's a problem-free G8.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
538 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That could be, but how could you possibly get the Charlton editors to change the prices? lol

Anyway, regardless what the Charlton says, I have to say that over the years the NF1 variety is the one I seem to have seen for sale the least since I have been collecting. Not many of any of the varieties come up for sale, especially not many as nice as the one you have shown us, but even despite condition it is a quite the feat for the average Joe to own just one of the varieties.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05