Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Only Certified Specimen 1937 Roanoke Half Dollar Commemorative Sells For $43,200

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 508Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  12:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Heritage Auctions - This 1937 Roanoke half clearly fits the mold of a specimen, and has an obvious resemblance to the well-recognized New Rochelle half dollar special strikes produced in 1938. While examples of this issue tend to come satiny or softly frosted, this SP67 representative is reflective in the fields and satiny on the devices. Not a hint of color is present on either side, and the same goes for bothersome abrasions. As far as we know, this is the only specimen-strike 1937 Roanoke half dollar ever offered publicly and a landmark opportunity for advanced commemorative collectors.

8WR9JPAScL0

7VvHSx39ST8
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a well-struck and clean example of the coin - and definitely an impressive hammer price!

Too rich for me!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck: Good thought! The Pan-Pac $50 gold coins are still #1 and #2 on my list, but I can see this one making my Top 5!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20880 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You weren't here yet but have you seen this?

http://goccf.com/t/70766
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10708 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, what a thread that was! I hadn't read it before; amazing coins and heck of a story!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3603 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2020  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing lasts 83 years without a hint of color. As rare as the coin is, it's disappointing in that it has obviously been bathed, dipped, cleaned, whatever your favorite term. Thankfully it was done by someone who knew better than to use a brillo pad or pencil eraser.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6878 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2020  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic example of a lovely coin. I've seen examples of the Specimen New Rochelle but never this coin. It is indeed taylor made for commems!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 508Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05