Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882-H With Broken O And Full Serif N's

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,211Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  2:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a coin I came across a couple of years ago and haven't seen any additional ones since. It is an 1882-H with broken O of VICTORIA and full serifs on the N's. All of the other broken O 1882's I've seen have single serif n's. I was wondering if anyone else has come across one of these?

Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the specimen obverse dies was like that. Could be the same die, but I don't think so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob, is that the obverse die on the 1881-H specimen cent on page 84 in your book? It does look pretty similar, but I don't think it is the same either. From your photos in your book it looks like the specimen die has some slight doubling in some of the letters and I don't see that on my coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the 1881s in chapter 5
Edited by bosox
08/27/2020 3:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1514 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same coin but it is a 1881H OBV1/1a
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked through well over 100 1882 Obv 1's, 1a's, and 1a/1's and found one like yours. I have a number of 1881's like yours, but the N's are repunched and look "fat" because they didn't smack it right ... especially the serifs. I think that your '82 was struck from an 1881 Obverse. If a friend of mine ever finishes his research study on the Obv 1's and 1a's, then we will see just how scarce your "open O full serif N" is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1834 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i looked at 58 of them and found 8 with the broken O but thy all have the ssn I might have a few more to look at if I find any I will let you know
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1514 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
have a number of 1881's like yours, but the N's are repunched and look "fat" because they didn't smack it right ... especially the serifs

my 1881 1/1a as per photo

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
08/27/2020 6:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1625 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never seen one either other than this one, but I have been on the look out for one for some time now.

I thought I had one I purchased an 82 on e-bay, it is a low grade and has enviro damage it looked like one in photo but it was not one when it arrived
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to find them and dig them out, but I had a few like Phil's when I was working on Dies & Diadems. My old notes say that I thought the serifs to the Ns were re-punched in the dies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a research project that is being conducted by a member of this site, there were "normal O's", open O's and at least 2 types of O's that were "open" but were then repunched to fill in the gap. So there will be at least 4 different types of O's for the Obv 1/1a's. I assume that the "O" repunching of the "open O" types was done to the 1881 Obverses first and then a few of those used in 1882 as well. 1881 and 1882's are as much of a collecting variety dilemma as are the 1859's. Probably about as many different marriages as the 1859's. If everyone is not on the Vicky cent bandwagon, you don't know what you are missing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I've now looked at 277 1881 and 1882 Obv 1, 1a's, and 1a/1 coins for this post ... bad back and all, hunched over my desk with my binocs. Don't inspect coins with binocs after having 5 lumbar discs fused/pinned/screws/plates. People my age don't heal that fast and I found only 1 1882 Open O, full N serifs and 8 1881 Open o's, both single serif and full. I never thought that the Open O was even hard to find.
Edited by okiecoiner
08/27/2020 7:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If everyone is not on the Vicky cent bandwagon, you don't know what you are missing.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Thanks everyone for checking out your coins for this die. I think it's probably pretty scarce with the 1882-H reverse.

Bill, give your back a rest. 277 coins inspected would make my back hurt and I haven't even had an operation. Thanks for always helping out with Vicky questions.
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that great of a coin but I think I have one also

Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photo Sammeli. Is yours an 1882-H, and does it have the reverse die crack at leaf 4 like the one I posted?
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry should have added this shot
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05