Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver 1957 D Lincoln Penny

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 1,004Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1176 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people just won't be satisfied until they've wasted $50 in grading fees (and apparently a few more on graduated cylinders)
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
16 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keyser21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You must have much different luck than I do. I had 100 lbs of Lincoln Cents in jars and boxes that I started storing around 1978, with about 15,000 overall and 6,600 being wheat straws.

I only sorted them by decade so far, and only weighed the transitional years and 800 corroded coins for a copper sort.

Out of 75 unsavory coppers, this "suspect" coin was the one and only oddity with this type of surface decay and black coloring - there were only three nasty wheats in this group, so maybe the alloys were better back then.

I only have seen green and brown discoloration and/or minor corrosion on the other 6,500 wheats.

I don't count the corrosion colors seen with the zincs because those are too bogus to start with.

Lucky I found this one, otherwise; I would have non-cents- drum roll on snare.

Thank you - I will be in the lounge all this week.
16 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keyser21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SamCoin,

I have several free grading vouchers so I will waste or apply those as I see fit. I can still afford $4.00 for a graduated cylinder since I no longer go out for morning coffee.

The only time you really need to be concerned with my expenditures is when I start spending your money.

OTHERWISE - - -
Pillar of the Community
United States
2265 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to waste your money go ahead.

This coin is not what you think at all, and never will be no matter how much you deny it.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Variety Want List: http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your coin has a lot of corrosion pitting that can explain less weight also its a full strike full rim. From the nicks in the rim you can see a little copper color. Might I ask why you are Set on believing this is a Lincoln struck on sliver planchet?
16 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keyser21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gentlemen (I am guessing) - Daves Errors & SilverCents,

Thank you kindly for your inputs; your observations are noted and quite exact (with full rim and horrible pitting) and the same have been expressed by me to others as well - the coin has obvious damage. I am not denying or claiming anything about this suspect coin being a silver planchet - I am merely proposing the planchet is non-copper based on physical measurements.

I have indicated there is at least one PCGS-graded version of a silver-planchet 1957-D Lincoln Cent. There may be others documented, but I stopped looking after finding one that was substantiated. This suspect coin has the same minting strike as the above graded coin.

I proposed this specimen to the Forum for "expert" review and so far, it is split closely as to supportive and undermining with both the opinions and feedback.

However, there has been no contradicting evidence (facts & data) - just opinions to suggest how these documented dimensional changes could have occurred with this coin. If you can provide any information to corroborate or dispute the provided information, then please do so.

I am not a coin expert or aficionado by any means, that is why I'm here. I am not being confrontational in any manner as some others have been, especially since I have been "out of the game" for over 30 years, and just now coming back up to speed with everything that has changed in that time. I do enjoy the exchanges and banter on the Forum, as well as the opposing opinions. But in the end, opinions cannot dispute facts - the coin "is what it is" - it is a physical entity.

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide the nice photos as others do, but if you could physically see the coin and hold it in your hand, you would agree it is an extremely odd specimen.

Here are some facts and logic to dispute -

Weight - decrease from 3.11 grams (mint standard) to 2.28 grams - 0.83 grams or over 26% of the original mass (significant change). This would be like cutting out section of a standard coin - think about it for a little bit.

Diameter - symmetrical decrease from 0.749 to 0.738 (0.011 loss) about 1% (insignificant change).

The rim width on a common 1957 LC is 0.030. The rim width on this suspect coin is about 0.024 - 0.025 wide, but difficult to measure with a caliper as the rim's inside corner is filleted with black material and the outside corner is no longer sharp and is radiused as is the reverse.

It can be surmised that it would be difficult to start as a Roosevelt silver dime planchet since those start at 0.703 OD, so the rim width would be compromised or reduced in some manner.

Thickness - decrease from 0.059 to 0.048 (0.011 loss) over 18% (significant change).

Sidebar discussions:
I evenly lapped the thickness of a corroded Wheat cent (ended up being a 1937) to 0.048 and the detail is almost non-existent - the remaining raised areas cannot be easily measured but possibly 0.001 to 0.002 by feel only. Please see the new photos included. At this thickness, the copper planchet weighs 2.86 grams a decrease of 0.25 grams over standard (8% - minor significance). The suspect coin has most of the detail on the obverse, as well as the reverse (most obscured by built up corrosion, but slightly visible - see new photo).

Challenge for you - Take any object in existence and remove 25% of its mass - it will change dramatically in form, fit, and/or functionality. If you can do so without a major change, then I applaud you for breaking the law (of Physics). This coin outside of the obvious moderate pitting and corrosive buildup is relatively intact.

I guess it might be possible Rick Moranis had this coin in his pocket while filming Honey, I Shrunk the Kids or Dr. Manhattan did so when trapped in the "intrinsic field" while filming Watchmen. Otherwise, I cannot guess how else it trans-mutated - it is a platypus of sorts, but in coin form - possibly even a unicorn.

Please enlighten me with something substantial. And to any naysayers; bring your evidence to light to explain how this coin is as it is, and not any empty words.
16 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keyser21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I forgot to attach the photos.

Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a heavily damaged copper coin to me.
Please let us know what the TPG says.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome. Now to my understanding when you find that Mythical Unicorn you better hang on to it cause that a once in a life time find.
16 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keyser21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Daves Errors

I just ordered a Wonder Woman "lasso of truth" from Amazon for $9.95 (those guys have it all) to tame and secure that unicorn.

Cheers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1176 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my professors as an undergrad used to tell us about how mathematics professors need to deal with a never-ending procession of unwell people who are absolutely *convinced* that they have come up with a theorem for the trisection of an angle using a compass and straight-edge (a problem that has long been known to be algebraically impossible). These people will bang their fists on the table and absolutely insist they have the answer to an unsolvable problem no matter how many times expert mathematicians patiently explain to them why their methods are wrong. If they are briefly convinced, it will always be short-lived, and they'll be back with a new solution that "fixes" the problem in about a week, or a month, or however long it takes... You don't have to take any of our words for it, but I do wonder, will you be satisfied once a TPG tells you this coin is not silver, or will you just send it off to a different grading company again and again until you're told the thing you've already decided is true?
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5454 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not just quit beating around the bush and send your coin in for authentication? It's real easy to resolve this: submission form, envelope, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 flip, payment! Go to post office. Wait about a month. Coin comes back. Answer received!

As far as I'm concerned all you are doing now is just wasting everyone's time.

Learn More...
United States
90125 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this topic has run its course.

Please take the advice given above. Bookmark this topic. When you receive the coin back from the third party grader, create a new topic and refer to this one for reference.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 1,004Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05