Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Tell Me What Brand Of 2x2 This Is? (One On The Left)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 436Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1168 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a lot of 2x2s years ago, and really like them, but I've started to run out. I went on coin wizard and bought the cheapest flips, thinking they were the same, and was really disappointed by the quality. I've posted pictures of the two flips side by side - the one on the left (with the staple holes) is the one I like, and the one on the right is the inferior on from coin wizard.

My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Edited by SamCoin
09/15/2020 11:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35547 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I now always buy 2x2's in person because I had that problem like you are ordering in the mail. The ones I do not like had a thicker cardboard and not as clear window. I like a clear window and thin cardboard.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Poland
130 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was working in a coin shop in Canada, I remember there was variance even within the same brand / model, depending on where the brand sourced its production. For instance, sometimes Unitrade flips were great, sometimes they were complete garbage (I think in terms of 'roll the dice,' they were the worst). This being said, even Lighthouse sometimes dropped the ball, which led to some angry customers (considering the premium). This is all to say, agree with @John1, go buy in person, you wont be worry!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5453 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy them from your local dealer Or at a coin show when they crank up again..

Feel the merchandise before parting with your money.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8976 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have gotten so many horribly off center 2x2's and loose plastic film from coin wizard that I agree buying in person at a coin shop or show is the only way to go.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14023 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently bought carboard 2x2's from Wizard . I believe the brand was Cowen . Like you I didn't like them , when I folded them over onto a coin many of them did not meet evenly on the bottom of the 2x2 . I'm not sure the brand of the thinner ones that Wizard carries but the one in your photo on the left side , the cellophane seems to be not stretched flat across the cardboard which would jeopardize the appearance of the coin . So I would say there are pros and cons in most brands .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
90123 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had the same issues with buying 2x2s online and the coin shows have not been much better. It seems like quality control is lacking these days. Luckily my preferred vendor has allowed me to pick through their stock to find a good batch.
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It seems like quality control is lacking these days.

I agree—perhaps precipitated by the race to the bottom on price.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
90123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
meh, it's a 2x2, I got guardhouse and they aren't terrible, from a company on Amazon called Flizzards, the "fold" is decent when folded over, front and back windows line up pretty well.plastic feel good also.

Truth be told, no supplier online wants to show you the "other" side of the 2x2 to try and determine, just the white side which all looks the same in the generic pictures.
I think they all bait and switch and send whatever they happen to have gotten, there certainly wasn't any kind of fancy "guardhouse" packaging the bundles came in. loose shrink wrap with their own printed paper label inside. they were decent though, no complaints I can remember off hand.

I picked up some others from Hobby Lobby in a pinch, fancy packaging bubble cardboard pegboard packaging, sold as "Entrust Coin Supplies" those were trash, hard to fold and wouldn't fold right, thick foggy plastic, looked a lot like your picture on the right as far as the brown side is concerned.

what size is that, nickel? quarter? I want to verify the ones I bought, make sure my memory is 100% and get back to you.
maybe with a picture to compare. I think they were around $7.00 for 100 pieces..., 50 pieces around $5.00, cheaper the more you buy at once. LOL like 500 pieces was just under $20 I think. but I tink they were decent and folded well and the plastic window didn't feel funky like a kitchen greased balloon.

Also, doing a little research, I'm noticing Cowen, Whitman and Entrust, are all the same exact 2x2s in different packaging. some aren't even entirely cut along the fold line in the pictures which means they will likely fold crooked.

Not bashing any of these companies just noticing the common link of the product they all seem to share the same manufacturing supply.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
09/15/2020 3:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
90123 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...there certainly wasn't any kind of fancy "guardhouse" packaging the bundles came in...
I have not received a "branded" package of 2x2s in many years now, probably the last time I went to my old LCS well over 15 years ago now. No matter what "brand" I have bought online or at the shows, they come in plain plastic bags.

Quote:
...some aren't even entirely cut along the fold line in the pictures which means they will likely fold crooked.
This is the biggest quality control issue I have experienced. I use a metal straight edge ruler and utility knife (with fresh blade) to improve the cut and therefore my chances for a successful fold.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I went on coin wizard and bought the cheapest flips, thinking they were the same, and was really disappointed by the quality.

I'm not trying to be mean or sarcastic, but at what point did "cheapest" become equated to better quality?

I agree with others, it's always best to purchase items in person if there exists the potential for quality variance among options.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/15/2020 4:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14023 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the biggest quality control issue I have experienced. I use a metal straight edge ruler and utility knife (with fresh blade) to improve the cut and therefore my chances for a successful fold.

For a couple of coins , sure but not if you have to holder 100 or so . I used to get mine at my local coin show . Don't know what brand they were ,but never had any problem with them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm back. These are the guardhouse ones I got from Amazon. Guardhouse holders sells them even cheaper on their own website directly by the same name like $3.50 per 100 piece packs or something like that. They sell them rubber banded in stacks though it appears. Place I bought them from was more expensive and like I said they shrink wrapped it and put in their own piece of paper for advertising. With Amazon I didn't have shipping or tax, with guardhouse it appears I would even if I bought a case of 5000. I played with the site, tax yes. As far as shipping if you buy 3 or more, 100 piece 2x2 packs it free FedEx ground shipping.

In the 2nd picture the bottom doesn't exactly line up, one side is minutely longer than the other but the windows line up right. It's really my only complaint about these, that I want the longer side as the front to write on and have the little gap seam on the back side. It's a small peave.

I hope this helps. It seems yours is a brown cardboard on the interior, these guardhouse ones are white on both sides but otherwise very similar. I'd recommend these, I'd definitely buy them again as the best I've tried.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
09/15/2020 8:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1168 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Commems Where did I say cheap should be associated with quality? I just assumed they were the same ones I had used before, which I knew were fine, and figured a 2x2 flip was a 2x2 flip, so what did it matter? I was very wrong, because many of them are punched so far off center that the coins look weird sitting in them, the large dollar flips are so poorly designed that they bow out so wide you can touch the enclosed coin inside the flip, and the materials began to fall apart almost immediately. So yeah, I didn't think "cheap = good," I assumed "anything = adequate," which it turns out is not true.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SamCoin: I was simply reacting to your statement in which you said you purchased "the cheapest flips" and were then surprised by their quality.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 436Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05