Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Lil Boy Found This 94 Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 270Next Topic  
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add firemandmc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
He wants to know if this is a mint error or what causes this. The clad is peeling off.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An outdoor find coin with rust on the discolored areas. Note the motto area. Where the discoloration is removed, the normal color is coming back. If this were a missing clad issue, the color would be red, not brown.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
732 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that could be jam that got on the coin then stuck to it by drying
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50499 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dr. coop nails it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10903 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks stained. Weighing it may help confirm what's going on.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to your son on noticing this. A clear closeup of the throat or pony tail area might help. It looks like a jagged shadow at both sides of the neck.

It may have been an electro-plating experiement, where the plating was done to a dirty coin and it is flaking off.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/16/2020 12:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like something has corroded into the surfaces. It does not look to me like something on the top surfaces of the coin.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05