Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Chances Of Noodling A 1966 Wavy 20c?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 550Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
383 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Will be entering my 20c collection into Numista next weekend and will also be getting a bunch of 20c coins for noodling. I am missing several coins including the 1966 wavy piece. What are my chances? Has anyone pulled a wavy coin from noodling recently or when was the last one pulled from circulation?
Valued Member
Australia
67 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

Last time I saw one was on the coffee table of a friends dad. It looked unc.

I wonder if they knew the value of it. This event occurred in 2005
Valued Member
Australia
383 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Last time I saw one was on the coffee table of a friends dad. It looked unc.

That's awesome. I'm curious though, how did you get that sucker from the coffee table into your pocket?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1624 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your chances are low - occasionally I hear of people finding one but in more than 20 years of looking at every 1966 20c piece the passes through my hands, I have never found one.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5191 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know of a chap in NSW who noodled one in Jan this year.

Pretty banged up, but hey a wavy is a wavy.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
321 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have noodled 2 in 15 years. It would be 6 years or so when I last found one
Learn More...
Australia
13458 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've got to remember, Australia has now had decimal currency for a longer period of time than it had predecimal currency. Those 1966 coins have been out there in circulation for over 50 years. As such, the original numbers of 1966 coins, although huge to begin with, have gradually diminished, and the proportion of the coinage that bears the 1966 date falls each year as more and more coins are made.

I think the "wavies" are still quite obscure, as far as the "average person in the street" is concerned; as such, they would survive longer in circulation than a "scarce date" (like the 1930 penny) would have.

In other words, I think they're becoming harder to find simply because 1966 20 cent coins are becoming harder to find, not necessarily because people are noodling out all the wavies.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3256 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still can't tell what a wavy is meant to look like so I end up stashing away all the 1966 20 cents away. Probably more than 100+ by now... May be a bit too hopeful that one could be in there
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Australia
321 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "wave" at the bottom of the number 2
Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never found one, not that that is much of a bench mark.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
795 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone pulled a wavy coin from noodling recently or when was the last one pulled from circulation?

David have a read here http://goccf.com/t/384873
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 550Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05