Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A 1943 Mercury Dime Error? Can't Find It Anywhere

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 370Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  02:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cheshirebugg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello
This is my first post (second if you could the introduction) and I hate to be a burden while I am still very new here but I am stumped.
I used the forum search feature and came up with nothing and I have been googling it for at least a week and haven't been able to find any information on it either.
The coin has a large number "5" clearly stamped in the middle of the front side of the coin and a not so fully stamped "5" that is offset on the obverse side.
Any help or guidance would be amazing and most appreciated. If there is any further information I can provide to help please don't hesitate to ask.

Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. that coin has been counterstamped, someone hit it with a number 5 punch at sometime after it left the mint. An error is something that happens accidentally during the minting of the coin, no way a giant number 5 would have happened accidentally. Some counterstamped coins can be collectable if they can be attributed, unfortunately this one is most likely just a curiosity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36156 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I agree with lcutler.
lcutler,
Milestone coming up,contest time?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3737 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People stamp coins with punches quite a lot. In most cases it means nothing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51437 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19697 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just a person stamping a coin that thinks it is not really worth 10 cents but only 5 cents. And when you think about it, back in 1943 that was worth 10 cents but today only about 5 cent.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2914 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And please remember that any question or topic is never a burden as long as it follows CCF guidelines for appropriateness...
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojomanbob54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Howdy and welcome to CCF, been counterstamped good conversation coin! Cheers Bob
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05