Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Promised To Keep You Updated...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 398Next Topic  
Valued Member
France
210 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:09 pm Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

About one month ago, I submitted an issue, the acquisition on Ebay of a stater from Thasos. I wanted to know whether you thought that it was genuine or not. Many of you expressed doubts about its authenticity. Today I submitted it to the Auction House CGB, and they confirmed me that, according to them, it was indeed genuine...
Tout est bien qui finit bien!

Here is a picture of the coin.

Best

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9046 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat and congrats. I think I remember seeing the other post.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5549 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! Beautiful coin!
Learn More...
United States
17384 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know @ancient67. Here is a link to the original thread:

http://goccf.com/t/380697
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Germany
95 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! I am glad everything went just fine!
It´s a beautiful coin and a great piece of history for any advanced collection.

I bought some great coins from CGB... although I might agree/disagree with their prices sometimes (Being on the buyer´s side of course ), they are very knowledgeable and highly professional in what they do, so I personally would feel reassured with their assessment.

Bien está lo que bien acaba
(All´s well that ends well)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17414 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fields are smooth, without any signs of tooling.
Fields next to the images are rougher, suggesting cast.

Crack with sharp edges (indicating a die strike), lends credence to being genuine.
Thus,
I agree with the auction house.

I can understand why it was submitted for an opinion regarding authenticity.

Note: Coin may be suffering from silver crystallization (indicated by roughness around the edges of the satyr and nymph). Structural weakness of the coin greatly increased by the crack anyway.
Coin may be very delicate. As a precaution, handle this coin gently.
Edited by sel_69l
09/27/2020 08:58 am
Valued Member
France
210 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check ancient67's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ancient67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses ! Yes the coin is fragile, this was told me also by the expert at CGB
Pillar of the Community
United States
3638 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the catalogue number? A previous post stating Sear 1747 does not seem to be correct. Thank you.
Valued Member
Germany
95 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! On the previous post I submitted a partially matching sample catalogued as HGC 6, 334 (That is: Handbook of greek coinage, vol 6 - The islands, 334).
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05