Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Impossible Find? Seated Liberty Half Dollar 1860-S 0 Over A Clear 4.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 751Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1633 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
smat45 - I searched for "1860 half dollar counterfeit". I had found that site before, when I finally realized my 1861 dime was also a contemporary counterfeit. @yontan, you might consider contacting the LSCC - they'd probably be interested in doing an article on it. Your example seems to be in much better condition than the one in the above link.
Edited by kbbpll
09/28/2020 1:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. My problem is solved. The weight is 12.3, well within tolerance, but the reeding is not quite right, and has two sets of slash imperfections that wouldn't happen on a regular coin. I matched it with an 1862 and the color is paler, almost yellowy. Finally, the ring test. It clunked, but never rang. The 1862 rang clearly each time. Finally, that picture of the same coin counterfeit was the deal breaker. Mine is a duplicate. Fortunately I only paid $30.00 for it, so no big loss. I have a growing number of half dollar counterfeits, so this will be added. Thank you all for your thoughts and information. Bill.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kbbpll, I will contact them. Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone got a Magnet ? Very interesting my dear, very interesting .

Edited by SensibleSal66
09/29/2020 05:24 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 751Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05