Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S Quarter Proof - DDR, Tdr, Or LDS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 213Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  04:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is in interesting quarter to say the least.

I see evidence of doubling and even tripling in some areas. There is doubling on almost all of the reverse and rather than posting way too many pictures I have posted the most interesting examples.

There are also striations between the arrowheads and the left wing spreading down into the leaves in uniform pattern.

The wings are doubled into the devices.

So I am wanting expert opinions of what I am seeing. Is this a DDR/TDR or just a LDS. Or is this the result of multiple strikes.

P.S. I looked on Wexler's and there is no listing for a 1969 S Quarter DDR.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some pics I see doubling but others I see flat impressions, shelf-like ( Machine Doubling ), I'm saying MD .
I hope I'm wrong,lol
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/28/2020 04:24 am
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too! LOL! Thank you. Seems we are on the same page because, like you said, some of it seems flat (like on the letters) and some of it seems like a DD (wings). I'm stumped.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35940 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The striations are by the eagles right wing by the way.I do not think it is a doubled die (hub doubling) but most likely just the way they made them back then?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fruitofmycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your input. I guess I was talking about the wing from the viewers perspective not the eagle's. Thanks for the correction.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46565 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die polishing can create these on the die, then the proof die passed them on to the coins struck by those dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05