Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1866 3cent Nickel Input Requested

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 253Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4440 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts as to what is going on here? Appears to me there are more than one issue here. Die scrapes and strike through as well maybe? 2nd 's' and first 't' in states is nearly gone. First 's' in states is pretty chewed up looking.

Not my strong suit so input is very welcome.

Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
09/28/2020 3:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be helpful to see larger and slightly brighter pictures. However, without seeing the coin in hand, I cannot be certain that the coin hasn't undergone post-Mint damage. However, since it's in a holder, I'm curious to see what the holder states. Assuming it's not damage to the coin, an explanation might be that the dies were heavily buffed out for some reason. This could cause the elimination of die elements if the buffing was done too deeply and show up as scrape marks as seen on these surfaces. I don't recall seeing such marks on 3CN before, so I'm suspect that something else might be going on here.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51333 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, larger and brighter pics would be a big help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4440 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will work on the photo. Holder is straight grade - MS63.
This a bit better pic? Took outside vs in my office.

edit: added photo - 2nd attempt.
Edited by scopru
09/28/2020 3:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen this in a 3c either. Could it possibly be a planchet flaw in combination with a very weak strike.

Although if that were the case I would expect a bit more weakness in the dentils. just thinking out loud.

Edit: what does the reverse look like?
Edited by Ty2020b
09/28/2020 3:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering it's a straight grade, it would seem that something really odd happened at the Mint. Also, since I haven't heard of seen a lot of these, either they get automatically considered problem coins and don't see a lot of viewers or very few were minted before the Mint recognized there was an issue and fixed it.

I have to ask, though....how/why did you purchase this coin? What's the luster like? What was the cost? Did you deliberately go after the coin because it had Mint issues?

I must admit, this coin would be a no-go for me. To be blunt (and I mean this respectfully), it simply looks like an unattractive, problem coin...but hey...that might just be me.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4440 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries on the blunt part - this coin under a loop (or on my camera) is rough looking at best and certainly a no go if I was the buyer.

Several years back I received it as a gift from one of my children. So good intentions that unknowingly fell short. It has been in one of my slabbed coin boxes for all these years and I had completely forgotten about it as this is not a type I collect. During all this COVID down time, I have been working a few projects related to my collection and came across it again.

Luster - is so so.

Cost - no idea.

So long story short - yes its a mangy dog. But since I am not a 3cn collector it will serve as my one example, albeit not a great example, of that type of coin.

So that was the long version of trying to figure out what on earth happened to this thing at the Mint. It does look like die scrapes to me, but also at least one and likely more issues.

Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jake the Dog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would bet on a lamination flaking off prior to a strike. Too bad it didn't have a weight to it, but if it was just on the surface it likely wouldnt remove much weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1632 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this a bit on Barber dimes, particularly from New Orleans. The striations across the letters are very similar. I always figured it was aggressive die polishing, and subsequent finer polishing removes more of it from the fields than the legends. The lines are so precisely parallel though. Seems like if it was a planchet issue, it would remain in the fields and not the relief. Could it be something with the annealing of the die? I think the "interesting" factor outweighs the eye appeal. Here's a 1901-O 10c example.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05