Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 H 1 Cent- Please Identify A Possible Variety And Or Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 214Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
as the title says....
any comment, even as to grade is welcome
thank you

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2555 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that is a die clash. The beads on the obverse seem to be a wider circle than those on the reverse. Which would line them up perfectly to be a clash.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H ... you need to use some of your reference books or library. This coin has been discussed many times over the last 15 years and has been the subject of many many coin hunts in the past. In Griffin, it is variety Gr-91. "The N's of Regina and Canada are almost corrected. The beads and letters of the legend of the Obverse show under the leaves of the Reverse at the bottom of the cent." rarity 8 (which is the highest rarity he used and there are only 4-5 R-8's in his whole book of large cent varieties).

We included it on p.308 of the 2011 65th edition of Charlton. There are really 2-3 different types. In one type like yours, the clash was only once, which resulted in full, round bead clashes showing, and then those that are football-shaped bead clashes from multiple clashes on the working die that overlap the round beads and making them football-shaped or oblong. They really don't deserve a rarity of 8, as I have a few of both types. They are relatively hard to find, but not rare and most of the Vicky variety folks that I know have more than 1. I'd give you a VF-30 from the photo, but hard to tell without really looking at it.
Edited by okiecoiner
09/29/2020 11:03 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1604 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with the others die clash, and like Bill has mentioned not rare or scarce I've seen several in lower grades but few in Mint State look for a nice mint state one's I can't ever remember seeing a mint state one of the foot ball clash nice collectable coin's.

It took me a while to find a mint state regular die clash one I'm still hunting for the multi die clash one (foot ball type) one in mint state condition.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of the "football" ones:

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05