Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Should I Be Hunting For In Foreign Coin Bins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 232Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not a foreign coin collector. I deal in primarily US coins, but I often go through foreign bins looking for colonials or old coppers....also coins with historical significance. What else should I be looking for? Anything easy to identify, historically significant, valuable? Thanks everyone!

-CH27
Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds.

My Profile Picture: 1873 Indian Head cent Doubled Liberty: http://goccf.com/t/376571#3229573
Edited by CoinHunter27
09/29/2020 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9029 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you knew some about medals or tokens you might find a good one. Silver and mint errors of course can be found.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TNG! Silver and errors are always on my radar, foreign or US. I scored some cheap silver out of some of these junk bins.

-CH27

My Profile Picture: 1873 Indian Head cent Doubled Liberty: http://goccf.com/t/376571#3229573
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3694 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been hunting foreign coin bins for years, and there is no simple answer to this question. Do you want to resell or collect? There a lot of items that are worth 4-40 times the bin price, but you have to know your stuff.

2 obvious items are silver and high denomination current coins (spendable in the country of origin). But, you need to know what is silver and what is not. Dirty/ worn/ badly toned low purity silver is not obvious. Anything older in good shape is worth a second look. Anything really old even heavily worn is worth looking at if you can make out an inscription/ image.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7599 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  06:49 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all the above.

Anything from the 1930s or earlier in AU condition or better with mint lustre is likely to be worth something.

Coins from small countries like the Vatican City, San Marino and Monaco are usually a good bet. Palestine coins issued from 1927-47 seem to turn up quite often and are well worth pulling out!

I've had some amazing bargains in the past - 1934 Palestine 20 mils in VF for 3p in London, a 1925 Australian penny in Fine for 5p, and, in a French coin shop, a British 1865 over 3 penny in nearly VF for 50 centimes! I regularly find foreign silver and high face value coins.
Edited by NumisRob
09/30/2020 3:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3831 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree with the above comments. I never found anything as good as what @numisrob has mentioned, but have only been at it intermittently for a couple of years.

However I have found some 1960s / 1970s African and Middle Eastern in high grade that I was able to re-sell on eBay for a few bucks each (the best was a 1962 Guinea coin that fetched $7 ... I live in a city with a large African immigrant community).
Early independence issues from these parts of the world often have higher collector value than what is in the catalog, but it depends on the country.
Also found some late 1940s UK shillings in nice grade once that I was able to re-sell. Pre-1960 Hong Kong coins with decent eye appeal sometimes turn up, and are collectible. The older coppers I see are generally beat (maybe more avid collectors are getting there before me). I've passed over the occasional worn smooth tiny silver coin which probably sounds like lunacy (emphasis on occasional ... )
Not a way to make a living. Not even beer money But a cheap way to learn about the one segment of the modern world coin market. And you WILL make mistakes that you think are neat coins, but that can't be re-sold.
Edited by tdziemia
09/30/2020 08:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2460 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I decided to start the Canada Small Cents, I checked out the "junk" drawer and found 50% of what I needed. The LCS charged 4 cents for each Canada small cent. Best I ever found was an 1859 Reis from Portugal and I keep finding counter stamped Lincoln Cents which I collect.

My advice is if you are trying to complete a collection sometimes the "junk" drawer will have a lot of what you need.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Lots of good advice and things to look for. hfjacinto, I love US junk bins. I can't tell you how many varieties and early US coins I've pulled out. They're always worth looking through!

-CH27

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 232Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05