Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buffalo Nickel Date Unknown

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,098Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Russian Federation
113 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How do I find out the date of this coin at home?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9029 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like 1918 from what I can see. Reverse?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
Russian Federation
113 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse.

Why do you think it's 1918?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1082 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
18 or possibly a 1916, based on the last, barely visible digit
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Veo tabien 1918
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5533 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 1916 to me.

You can bring the date "up" by soaking the coin in vinegar. It'll probably take a few hours to get the process completed.

Post pictures when it's done. Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
El Vino ? si ?
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/30/2020 12:42 am
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ang5212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely 1918.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
113 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westernsky,Thank you for advice. I will publish the result as soon as I conduct this experiment.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35931 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a product just for that,Nic-a-date https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIC-A-DATE...AOSwtZpeiKqz
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard of that but wasn't sure if it was any good because it is an Acid .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19653 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because it is an acid that is why it works. However, sort of ruins the coin.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14155 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a solution of 3 parts vinegar to one part peroxide with fairly good results .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9029 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do you think it's 1918?

Because I think I see an 8 at the end, but I suppose it could be a 6.
I am not into restoring dates on Buffalo nickels.
Thanks for the reverse image.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
westernsky: You can bring the date "up" by soaking the coin in vinegar. It'll probably take a few hours to get the process completed.

John1: There is a product just for that,Nic-a-date

SensibleSal66: I've heard of that but wasn't sure if it was any good because it is an Acid.

just carl: Because it is an acid that is why it works. However, sort of ruins the coin.

All the above comments are correct. All "date restoration" methods etch away at the worn date with acid. As I understand it, it works by exploiting the different reactivity of the microcrystalline structure of the transition area between the date and the field is vulnerable to acid attack.

I made a picture about it, once:

Such acid etching does indeed "damage" the coin, either in the wear-affected area (if using Nic-A-Date dropwise) or across the entire coin (if using a vinegar soak).

Whether you prefer to own a "worn coin with unknown date" or a "cleaned coin with a certain date" is entirely up to you. Many collectors would rather have an acid-restored-date coin than a hole in the album, and are certainly prepared to pay more than the dateless-slug price to obtain one. "Date restoration cleaning" is one of the few instances where "cleaning a coin" adds value, rather than subtracts it.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3601 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im gonna say 1918 as well. A little of the Nic a date should bring it right up.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,098Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05