Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Flying Eagle - Grade Opinions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 632Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got this one in the mail, the sellers pictures were very poor and I had a few Ebay bucks to bring the price down lower.

What do you grade this? The marks in the obverse field (started between T & E in STATES) are small planchet laminations or flaws, not scratches. The reverse was weakly struck on the bottom (or struck through).

I have found problem free high grade examples with good planchets are difficult to come by.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not the best with these, but I'll take a stab. Sans the weak strike, I'm not seeing much in the way of wear, AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
2536 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with AU-58.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly no less than AU-58. Pancake reverse, but a lovely specimen overall.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/09/2020 8:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus a weak strike or struck thru on "United States"? AU-58 Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weak as can be but could see it in a lower ms holder personally.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still developing grader skills. Nice coin and agree with AU 58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU or UNC details. it appears the original fields are flat. for a coin of this higher grade it should have more of a lustrous look to it. could be the lighting or photos but just calling what I see. the mottled coloring is also an indicator. I think its UNC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had two Flying Eagles graded AU-58 by NGC and the wear on this coin looks about the same as those two.
Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21645 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 but surface originality is questionable.
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dieuwer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is this AU-58? The bottom half of the letter in UNITED STATES are gone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7407 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it weak strike/strike through and all, I'm at MS61 no wear.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont confuse strike quality or a filled die with wear.

Im thinking this was a Grease Filled Die (as opposed to a weak strike) as the dentils are sharp and pronounced in the areas where weakness is seen. I had this pegged as a high AU, but it could go MS. The coin color looks normal in hand for the Copper-Nickel series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok...what is a "pancake" reverse?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pancake means "flat strike".
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05