Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1970 S ---- FS-01-1970 S-101 (029)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 465Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  9:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dbeck22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tried a different method with my picture taking this time. Hopefully you can see what I am seeing now.

Learn More...
United States
17676 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics with the camera straight on the coin seem to work best. I do see the doubling on the T and Y of LIBERTY.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent images but not 1970s FS 101. I don't see any notching or separation on your coin.
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...0SDDO001.htm

Angled images can help with clarity sometimes but can distort the actual devices on the coin.
There won't be any question if you happen upon one.
There does seem to be some thickness on the verticle's of LIBERTY though.
Edited by Petespockets55
10/15/2020 08:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47279 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a set of images from PCGS that helps show the doubling better.

Note the location of the mintmark. It is not a match on your coin to die FS-101. So it is a DDO, but just not that one.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/15/2020 6:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbeck22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 3 of these 1970 S coins that look doubled.... I know that I do not have 3 of the FS-01-1970S-101 (029) But they look really close.

Anyways, here are some better pictures of one of them... I'm not sure if it's the exact coin from above or not because I have got the 3 of them mixed up looking at them..

This is the one that I think looks the closest

Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbeck22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does anyone else agree with me? do you think this is a 1970S DDO-001?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello dbeck22

your coin is not even close to FS-101.

agree glare is very bad in your pictures.

check out this thread http://goccf.com/t/335702
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47279 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First note the mintmark location. Not the same as FS-101. On the motto, the glare is hiding what is really there. I'm guessing there is Machine Doubling there?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47279 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
seeing the devices next to what you are comparing it with helps a lot more:

Note the Inverted images I created from your selection? The glare is hiding the MD on those areas. Machine Doubling happens on the outside of the devices. A doubled die shows spread in the center of the devices. This enlarges the devices. So to avoid this in the future, don't look at the outside edges of devices. Note if they are enlarged in the centers of devices. That is what you loo for to compare a match for a doubled die. Spread, and having the same exact spread on all the devices. Sometimes it looks the same one one device, but different on a different device.
For example:

Why are these two images showing different numbers for each image? While it looks like they are the same, but are they. On other devices on the coin, they are not the same.

Another SBS of the same two dies, but note how much different they are from each other? Even the dates are different.

But go back to the images of Liberty again. Note the doubling is not exactly the same. It is slightly different. So in order to have a correct number for a die, the hub doubling must match on all devices. So keep looking for the spread on the on the centers of the devices/enlargement of devices/distortion of devices on the centers of the devices, not on the outside edges. Because what is found on the outside edge on one side, is machine doubling.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
10/23/2020 8:11 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05