Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 D Weighing 5.40 Grams And Is Black Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 279Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  7:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Imettler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know about the corroded 1977 d quarter that only weighs 5.40 grams and was black when I removed the corrosion to identify it. I removed all of the corrosion with a toothpick so not to scratch it. I have heard of one other that was thought to be on a V nickel planchet which of coarse is 90 years earlier.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It reminds me of a coin that has been buried for awhile. A lot of metal detectors have a lot of these. Another thing that can turn a coin black is it being in a fire.
This is not something that came that way from the mint. There is nothing in the minting process which would make something like this.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imettler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your input. The thing is I couldnt even see the coin until I scraped off the corrosion and it came off pretty easy. But I have seen one online that wasnt scraped off and it was the same coin even down to the weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3767 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a mint error. If the black came off easy, it could be gun oil on it. PMD, spend it.
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of such quarters around, not surprising that you saw another. Environmental damage will leave it looking like that. Rest assured there has not been a Washington quarter identified as being on a V nickel planchet! Quarters have been struck on regular nickel planchets but then it would be the weight of a nickel.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05