Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1843 Large Cent With Significant Crack On Reverse.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 679Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  04:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have a question regarding a large crack in an 1843 large cent I own. The coin is fairly unremarkable, it's a petite head small letter large cent. But the reverse has a long straight crack running diagonally across the reverse crossing almost the full diameter. Like so.

Note there is no similar damage on the obverse.

I can't find any other 1843 large cent with similar damage. Or any other coin period with similar damage. So for my own education I was wondering how do you characterize this? Is it a die crack? After acquired damage (I'm forgetting the acronym)? Something else? Is this considered a variety versus a die state? Neither?

Thanks so much for all information. This is a great forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36084 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. We will need close ups and a full coin photo of the obverse and reverse and it is best to remove coins from from 2x2 holders before taking photos, (yours looks like it is in a 2x2 holder)
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
10/18/2020 04:34 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it's still in the case. And it's poorly lit. I also went overboard minimizing the quality to achieve the image size limits.

I will take new photos in the light of day. Thank you for the help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51303 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, much larger pics of both sides would help.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16977 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to need better images. There IS a variety that has a bisecting crack on the reverse, but it runs from upper left to lower right.
Gary Schmidt
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I will follow up in a few days, out of town on vacation.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got a chance to take better pictures. The colors on this coin look very odd.

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Taken at an angle to give more depth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7732 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like a cut and fold over that makes it look like a crack. Jmo
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
7 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought it online, pretty much because the crack looked odd and it was cheap enough to satisfy my curiosity. I didn't realize it was this odd until I tried to find similar examples online and found nothing. If such a thing as cutting and folding a coin is possible, I suppose that would explain it. But the coin had clearly been in that flip holder for a long time so I don't think this was truly recent damage.

Either way, it's an aesthetically repulsive coin. The color is mottled and the green discoloration looks is off putting. There's a little pocket ofn the pack that looks like it's filled with spores. And once I took the holder off, I realized the crack is still open in some spots. It almost looks like a poor soldering job (highly doubt that's possible, it just looks like that). Anyway...thank you for the information
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16977 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new pictures confirm it is a scratch/cut rather than a die crack, sorry.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51303 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to study the pics closely, but I agree.
Learn More...
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the "not-a-die-crack" camp. You can see the cut most clearly in the E of ONE:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
7 Posts
 Posted Today  8H 9M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DamienWA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's a deep scratch. Well that makes more sense. I couldn't find production error issue with a similar appearance, regardless of coin type. But I never thought this could an intentional flaw. Must have been one heck of a sharp blade.

In any case, thank you for the information. I'm fine with this news, I find this coin distasteful anyway. Between the mildew and the discolored on serves it looks like braided head lady caught some 17th venture malady like the croup. .
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 29M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking she ate a mold sandwich. I'd pop that baby in a little jar of acetone for a day or so and see if it helps anything. You sure can't make it worse!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 679Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05