Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 P Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS Grade Guesses?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,075Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
9405 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 89(P) are Average in strike, though some are soft. the obverse is average strike but the reverse strike is sharp and bold. some discoloration in the headband. a couple field abrasions. most of the cheek look like they are from baggage but there are couple scratches above the eye and jaw as well as lower neck. the luster looks solid on both sides. PCGS is tough on these but I'm going to say based on your comment they graded it at MS65 based on the reverse. I see it at 64
Pillar of the Community
United States
1016 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hits on the cheek keep this coin at MS63
Pillar of the Community
Canada
956 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Pillar of the Community
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another vote for 63. Would be overgraded at 64 or higher.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojomanbob54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice strike and details , Obverse has very few detracting marks in the field, high marks show very little wear, Border and denticles are super, nice hair details, Date, Stars and Motto sharp. face and chin minor scars and major abrasions. Reverse is beautiful, Breast and wing feathers are well uniformed with no nick or scratches, sharp, leaves and arrows are are sharp and the field has minor marks. Motto well struck. Coin survived the Vegas Slots , and Poker Game :) MS65
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In hand Pictures.

Photography is not my strong suit.

Guess you can compare to the sellers pictures and have two different types of pictures.

See if you change your mind.

It could be the sellers pictures are better.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2519 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area in the lower cheek with most of the marks is sort of obscured, but it doesn't look nearly as bad in these photos. I'd say MS-64 with these pics, but you'll have a much better idea with the coin in hand. I assume PCGS gave it a 65.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are in hand pictures LOL, the first set was the seller's pictures.

In hand it looks great to the naked eye, with HUGE cartwheel.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2519 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I realize those are your pics. I meant you'll have a better idea how significant those marks are looking at it in person instead of through photos. Glad it's got great luster!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1376 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm staying at MS-64. Also going to say PCGS gave it a 65 ( really hope they didn't go so far as a 66).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3601 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did they put a PL on the slab? MS-64 for me...slabbed 66
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Grade Revealed. The 65's have it.

Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
seems over graded to me but nice coin
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,075Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05