Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Penny 7/8 Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 561Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doc the welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day all, an old-timer told me to go to cc and check a 1968 penny.the owner thinks he sees an 8/7.He said he wants me to see it and tell him what I think. Well...by seeing the coin before I even zoom in I can see what looks to be a so called 7.I don't have tons of years of experience like others but I have a few years. I saw a lot of coins with 8/7 and this coin have the look of one. The old-timer told me all he can say is if this coin is what the owner think it is.. it will go fast. I have never seen or heard of a 1968 8/7 penny This could be the first. Take that thing and get it check.. that could have all the damage in the world. It look like a 8/7 I will bet it's a 50/50 shot.I am a welder and it look like all of the breaks on the 8 seem to to be caused by the 7.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doc if I'm reading your post right you are talking about an 8 over 7. we are talking about a 7 over 8. Which makes no sense. I mean how could that happen
Pillar of the Community
United States
5280 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doc the welder to CCF

Please start your own separate topping for proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
92320 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doc the welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like he had 2 posts 7/8 and 8/7. Old timer thinks it's a 1968 8/7. We are trying too find any info on these 1968 8/7 and we can't find anything on it.Have you guys ever seen 1 of these coins and what do you guys think of this so call 1968 8/7 ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5280 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a possibility we could see a close up image of this coin, after all that would be the only avenue for experts to offer help.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doc the welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a pic under the post 1968 7/8 but I think he ment 1968 8/7
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a damaged coin by a vending machine:

Note the tops of the date devices are pushed to look like a '7, but the base of the devices are a normal '8'. Just a damaged coin. The dies have all the design on them since 1908, so it can't be an over date. Just damage.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doc the welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those 3 coins don't look anything like the coin in question.If you are trying to say that you saw this kind of coin before..then some1 should post some pics that's like this coin.I cannot find anything about this coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
2034 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are we talking about this?
http://goccf.com/t/384561#3292889
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same coin, I just added the images to the thread that was asking about it.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doc the welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So coop is there any other 1968 penny that looks like tadoots coin ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2034 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doc-- I suggest the owner of the coin in question submit it to a reputable third party grading service for evaluation/attribution (PCGS, NGC, ANACS). Or, take it in to an established, reputable coin shop and see what they say--perhaps one in the greater Boston or Albany metro areas. Let us know what develops.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05