Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medallic Art CO Theodore Roosevelt President Silver Medal From Process Set

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 982Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You got it right Commems

Happy to contribute!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
92103 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I imagine that would be quite near impossible but maybe someday the other 7 will come up for sale but missing this one.
I bet the other 7 are scattered all over the place.
If I were betting on a man to find them, I would bet on you.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made this video a few years back of a set in my collection.

An official Hawaii Statehood Medal Progression Set by Medallic Art Co.

HDyPYaOQ4TM
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9127 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DrDarryl! Nice video.
I wonder about the edge lettering.
I also wonder if ALL the medals for distribution are made this way. I kind of doubt it.

Are they all struck several times and trimmed? Or is this just for progression or process sets?
Coins are not made this way. They are struck within a collar that has any lettered edge or reeding right on the collar die itself.
The Roosevelt item I show here obviously does not have edge lettering, but "normal" ones do show silver 999 and others also have Medallic Art Co. on the edge.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought folks might enjoy this documentary from about 90 years ago about how high-relief medals are made.

oYCqJv5e10w

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are they all struck several times and trimmed? Or is this just for progression or process sets?
Coins are not made this way. They are struck within a collar that has any lettered edge or reeding right on the collar die itself.

Most high-relief medals require being struck multiple times in order to fully bring up their design. The process set demonstrates how more and more of the detail is brought up with each strike. With modern presses and planchet preparation techniques, it's possible that fewer strikes are needed, but multiple strikes are still the norm.

Traditionally, many high-relief medals were struck without a collar and required trimming (not just those for process sets). Some were, however, struck with a collar; the collar eliminated the need for the trimming step.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9127 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I watched the entire movie without blinking once. I was going to play it in the background while doing something here in the man cave but oh no, once it started, I was glued fast. That was awesome.
When the four sculptors presented that finished medal I was thinking to myself, "Those guys know how much went into the finished medal" and didn't the narrator mention the very same point a few seconds later.

Thanks for posting that and thanks for the follow-up comment.
I have a considerably better appreciation for our medals. Especially those with great detail and high relief.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9127 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found another link on "Process sets"
http://www.coins-n-medals.com/Exhib...cessSet.html
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some good info (video as well as link) in the past few posts.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
11/05/2020 06:20 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 982Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05