Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1901 Indian Head Cent Grade Opinion

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 898Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2578 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:24 am Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin was cracked out of an ANACS holder this morning. What do you think as far as grade? I cracked it out because I did not think that the holder enhanced the coin at all. And also because I like breaking stuff.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2681 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the slight wear on the ribbon, forehead and lower hair I'm at AU 55.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52230 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-53, wouldn't argue with 55.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/20/2020 10:32 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36524 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14330 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with AU-58 . Coin has a lot going for itself but obvious wear on reverse rim and leaves .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2549 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say AU-55.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1457 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55, possibly 58
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2578 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, I get the general consensus here is an AU grade. Cracked from a MS62 holder. Not surprised.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14330 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cracked from a MS62 holder. Not surprised.

Buy the coin not the holder , How many times we've said this .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52230 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see this as a 62 coin, but now that it's cracked, I think you would be unlikely to see it in a similar TPG holder again. Given the discolored reverse, I'd value it at $20 tops.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious wear on the obverse, splotchy patina on reverse. If you like it, that's all that matters, but if you were looking for a solid MS-62, then looking at the coin and disregarding what the holder says is what I would have done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9450 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i had this one at MS62. an ugly 62 but still a 62
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With obvious wear (noted by many posters), why would ANACS have graded this as MS62? How on earth can it be mint state if there is any wear at all?
Edited by NumisEd
10/24/2020 2:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive Obverse to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With obvious wear (noted by many posters), why would ANACS have graded this as MS62? How on earth can it be mint state if there is any wear at all?

I'm still trying to figure that out. I know I find that with scarcer coins, such as Seated halves and dollars the TPGs seem to have a "habit" of grading slight, or even obvious wear as a 'weak strike'. That's why you'll see lots of circulated examples of scarcer type coins in MS-61, MS-62 and even MS-63 holders. However I personally have two problems with my hypothesis, that being that I find ANACS to be the strictest US TPG when it comes the AU-58 or MS-60 "flip", and the other being that this coin is hardly a scarce type, so why would they be so lenient on this one? It's not even a scarce date for the type.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9450 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

do not confuse weak strike areas with wear. in this case look at the reverse shield. no signs of wear at all especially on the perimeter. No wear on LIBERTY which is the highest device and would show any wear first.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 898Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05