Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Wheat Extra Copper On Reverse T

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 619Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  3:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a die chip, or a right-to-left horizontal hit on the lower portion of the T which moved metal--forming a ridge-like feature.
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being on the top of the letter T (instead of next to it), I doubt that it is a die chip. Maybe a struck through copper flake? Also seems unlikely. Considering that there is a fresh scratch on the right wheat sheaf, I'm thinking that it is most likely damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I'm saying it has a extra amount of material . It isn't pushed into a pile like a bulldozer pushes dirt into a pile . Not missing any on left or right of it and not pushed through from the obverse. Certain of that. Just dont know why or how it got there.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be a raised clash die?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47399 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps a moving struck through debris or lamination if more of the coin is affected:

Amazing if has hung on all these years? Maybe the green stuff helped hold it in place like glue?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it did but I sure would like to get it off! Isn't there a safe way to get it cleaned up a little bit. And thanks for the help .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47399 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I leave it alone if you are going to keep it. Doing the wrong thing, can't be reversed. What if that was glue and the peel fell off the coin? I've seen thing that that happen even just handling a coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Na its solid I pushed my fingernail on it kinda tried to scrap it off.but it is same composition as the coin well it is the coin. Some part of the process caused the additional material to be put there or left behind. Thank you for responding to my questions. Greatlty appreciated!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47399 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it magnetic? You might have a piece of the die? If not, then is a huge chip or a die break at this point.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
10/22/2020 12:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not magnetic. I saw on a video that this was kinda problematic for the wheat pennies. Wonder what the variable that caused them to be so abundant is?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1788 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one does look a little odd but die chips happen on the T (CENT) regularly on wheat cents. The size and shape of them are used as die markers for many varieties.
This happens to be a very large one. Nice find.

As an example, here is a link to a 1957 that uses the chip on the "T" as a marker for stage C.
http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20...7PDDR001.htm
Edited by Petespockets55
10/25/2020 08:04 am
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 619Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05