Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Straits Settlements Quarters And Halves, How To Remove Black Blotches?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 521Next Topic  
Valued Member

Singapore
51 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  08:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These bronze quarters and halves are problematic. Is there a way to remove the unsightly black blotches without harming the coins?

A store owner told me to soak with vinegar and salt for an hour. Is that good advice?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3828 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not soak in salt and vinegar. It will react with the metal. It will remove the black spots but much else as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36490 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use only 100% pure acetone.Read up on it first by using the search box upper left of page. Also,please crop photos a bit better before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
10/21/2020 09:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3828 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt that much can be done to help this coin since it has been corroded. Verdi-Care would help but might be impossible to obtain in your country.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36490 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdi-Care is next to impossible to even get in this country,that's why I suggested acetone.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone might help. But the coins have already started to pit. And there's lots of verdigris (green stuff). Sometimes removing it leaves you with even deeper pitting and the coins look worse. I hope you didn't pay much for these.

If you did, take them back to the store. Tell the owner to soak them in vinegar and salt for an hour. If they don't look better, you get your money back. If that could really improve these coins, the owner would have already done it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look I'm gonna be straight with you, these were severely neglected. All I can tell you is like what was mentioned, acetone soaks to remove the heavy stuff.

Once you have that stuff off and stabilized the surfaces, you can work on "wear" to even out the colors and surface condition. mostly just carrying it around as a pocket piece as a coin would being circulated, I'd also possibly try a fine hair bristled brush and some mineral oil in an attempt to bring some life back into the bronze.

they aren't going to perform well at all in their current shape, but If you don't mind it dropping a few grades I think it's salvageable.

Might also want to think about sending them to a grading company for an opinion on conservation services and have it done by a professional.

In low MS I don't see either been really valuable, maybe $60 for the pair At MS62. Likely not worth paying a TPG to conserve them.
So all the care and work and rub would need to be done by you to circulation wear them into "less problematic"

And Salt and Vinegar is for Potato Chips, Not for coins.
It will turn your Bronze pink, and judging by some of the color, I think it's already been tried.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just my opinion, but these coins are very unattractive anyway, and the 1932 has zero value in this condition.

I would take the 1932 coin (which can be obtained in a very nice grade for just $5) and do the experiment with the vinegar and salt.

As mentioned by others, the acid in the vinegar is likely to react with the surface of the coin. I doubt it will improve the coin, but since it is worthless anyhow, why not try it?
Valued Member
Singapore
51 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I paid less than USD4. Just buy them out of curiosity if I would be able to do something to salvage them. I will soak them in Acetone to see how it turn out. Will post pics after soaking.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5192 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soaking in vinegar will probably leave you with pink coins, not a pretty sight, and IMO not recommended.

Stick with 100% acetone the type from a hardware store, not the nail polisher remover type as it has other stuff in it even although it shows 100% on the label.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Singapore
51 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soak for 2hours in Acetone then apply Axe Universal oil. Does it look any better or worst?

Best Regards
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look about the same, which tells you that the problem is corrosion (an inorganic chemical process) rather than a deposit of something organic (grease, tar, etc).

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, inorganic thin film corrosion (otherwise can be taken to mean blotchy toning).
Unfortunately acetone will have zero effect on such sulphide / oxide blotchiness which is the result of being in a damp, humid environment.

Just be thankful that they don't suffer from bronze disease (green verdigris)
In a location such as Singapore, just do your best to store your coins away from humidity. Same thing can happen in the Gulf states of the U.S.

Search other CCF threads and Google re storage of coins in a humid environment.
Valued Member
Singapore
51 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is why some coin dealers here rarely want to deal with bronze or copper coins. They are quite an headache.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may wish to store your coins and albums in clip seal polyethylene bags with a few small silica gel packets, or a gasket sealed clip close case.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05