Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Software To Use To Track Notes?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 688Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  9:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm over 100 notes and basically Excel isn't good for storing the pictures. Do you use a software to track your notes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4967 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel will work well.
All you need to do is use one of the columns to hold the link/address of the image.
It can be on your computer or stored elsewhere (stick, website, etc.)
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All you need to do is use one of the columns to hold the link/address of the image.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1196 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Excel will work well.

I use excel for both currency and coins. I just hyperlink the photo to one of the fields. Works well, as long as you don't change the photo locations.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel is what I'm using but I'm looking to see if there is a program just for notes and currency. I'm looking at Currency Manager, I got the sample version and so far it's a little buggy. I submitted a case and think I corrupted the header file, I created a new one and so far it's working well. I'll let you know. My coins are still on excel, but I only have the slabbed coins on excel. I need to play Witt Currency Manage for a few weeks to make sure it works as I want it to.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope it does work for you.
I am with the others. Excel can do what you wanted with photos.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Google Sheets and additionally scan every note. I also record everything handwritten in a loose-leaf notebook.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I uploaded all my notes last night, still playing with it. The error was a corrupted record, once I rebuilt the headers its been fine.

Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It works pretty well, has all the information, I'll probably ever need. So far adding any comments is what I haven't done and I don't want the wife to know what I paid, so most are blank

Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So far adding any comments is what I haven't done and I don't want the wife to know what I paid, so most are blank
Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used it for 2 more weeks. I'm pretty happy with it. They also have one for Coins, for now, I'll stick with the currency one. I was able to add all my notes and prices and dates that I had in Excel. I have a few more days, but I'm going to purchase the license. I like the layout and the ability to store note pictures is what I really wanted.
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My biggest issue with Excel was the pictures. I like having the pictures showing up on the record. Thought of Access but didn't want to build a database from scratch, so now that I'm using Currency Manage for a few weeks, there are things I like including the search feature. The ability to create matching records (like dealers) and having ready reports to run, including currency listing. There are some things that I'm not a fan like the reports are hard to modify and the documentation is limited. But CM does one thing really nice and that is linking the pictures of each note. Coupled with internet and local back up and the ability to export data, I like it. I don't know if it's worth it for storing the slabbed coins I have for that I track on excel.
Edited by hfjacinto
11/15/2020 11:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that is good info.
So why not move the slabs there as well? You mentioned pictures were the biggest issue. For my personal preference, I would not use separate inventory systems. I would pick one or the other.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So why not move the slabs there as well? You mentioned pictures were the biggest issue. For my personal preference, I would not use separate inventory systems. I would pick one or the other.

The software actually is composed of 2 modules as the information for Currency is different than coins. I would need to purchase the Coin Manage software. Currently all I track are my ~ 60 slabbed coins and the ASE, I don't track any of the coins in albums so it currently doesn't make economic sense to buy another package. If I started tracking all the coins in albums it would make sense. If you are going to ask why I don't track my coins in ablbums is that I have too many and most aren't much. Maybe I should track the keys, but I haven't been motivated to do that.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 688Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05