Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Done Home Silver Refining?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,276Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:18 pm Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know it may not be entirely cost effective, but I am an environmental scientist by trade and I do have some chemistry training.. Chemistry lab was my favorite subject in college, and this kind of seems like a fun hobby. Just wondering if anyone here has done it and can share any successes/failures. Thinking of hunting for sterling at cheap prices and slowly building up some equipment.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3824 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think one big issue would be dealing with the emissions/ pollution from the refining process.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It'd be on a pretty small scale, and I'd be outside with an acid gas respirator for additional safety. Not concerned that there would be a significant air quality impact to the environment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will You be making Your own nitric acid or just buy it?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At this point I'd just be buying the acid, I don't think it'd be worth the added risk of making it. I'll likely start small next month with just buying a smelting furnace and PPE and just practice melting pure silver shot into bars/rounds to get that technique down. If that goes well I'll try refining.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6662 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it could be fun! If you do start the process, please share pics here.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Earl42

I definitely will!
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

At this point I'd just be buying the acid, I don't think it'd be worth the added risk of making it. I'll likely start small next month with just buying a smelting furnace and PPE and just practice melting pure silver shot into bars/rounds to get that technique down. If that goes well I'll try refining.

Sounds like a plan.
What kind of furnace are You thinking of going with, gas or electric?
Over this past summer I've been messing a round with gold refining and getting all of the steps down. Just as I was becoming successful it has turned cold outside. So I've been getting the garage set up so I can work inside. It will be so nice not to have leaves falling on/in everything.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17597 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be worth doing some research on how the ancients refined their silver, before using it for coins.
Roman Republican silver coinage is around 98% pure.
Search: 'cupellation'.

Beyond 98%, electrolytic refining would have to be considered.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kind of furnace are You thinking of going with, gas or electric?

I was thinking gas, but if you have any suggestions on what has worked for you, I'd love to hear it. This furnace in particular has caught my eye: https://castmastereliteshop.com/pro...6.1603824032

Quote:
Beyond 98%, electrolytic refining would have to be considered

Electrolytic actually looks like a pretty interesting process. I'm sure when I eventually get into it I'll try a few methods.
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was thinking gas, but if you have any suggestions on what has worked for you, I'd love to hear it. This furnace in particular has caught my eye

So far I've been trying to get the chemistry down in order to have something to melt, first, then worry about a furnace. But thanks for the link, I'll probably go with the same.
What little I have done so far I have used MAP gas for melting back to metal. Although I didn't get it hot enough (I was more worried about burning it up) the first time. It did RXF at .999 fine. Not bad just for some free computer scrap. Once I 'graduate' too doing 10K,14k,and 18k refining, silver refining will be a secondary process too do.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  02:12 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like fun. I'm interested in following your progress.

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sign me up as an audience member. I've entertained this idea myself over the years.
Fire. Molten metal. Thick gloves. My idea of a fun Saturday night.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sign me up as an audience member.

Anyone that wants to follow, just subscribe to this post and I'll post my experimentations here. Again, may be another month or so before I start playing around, but I'll share my adventures here. I've got some other ideas too as far as creating custom ingot molds, so hoping for some cool stuff coming out in the future!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So.... I just bought 35 lbs of scrap copper AT SPOT..... just need a smelting furnace and then there's my first bullion project. I'll be able to turn out a whole bunch of 1-10 ounce copper bars from this.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,276Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05