Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Buffalo Coins With Sticky Green Mess

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 937Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  8:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a way to safely clean the green sticky slime off Buffalo nickels? I would be thankful for any help on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
732 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures would help. But without them I would say use acetone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14300 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos would be nice but the first thing to do is soak them in acetone , the longer the better . then get a hold of some Verdi-Care and use it on them . Don't use anything else .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of container do I soak it in? Glass or ceramic in a well ventilated area.
Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes either glass or ceramic and definitely you should have it in a well-ventilated area. Sounds like you have PVC goo on these coins? Maybe take this time to make sure that you don't have other parts of your collection moving in this same direction.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were stored by a ladies husband in an old jar. She just sold them as is so now I am trying to clean them up a little to verify dates and such..
Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ok sounds like not PVC then, which might mean that you will be able to remove this with little damage to the surfaces.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Order of operations for me...acetone bath first, if it does not improve, then use xylene.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3547 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone
Xylene
Koin Solv if you can find it
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What kind of container do I soak it in? Glass or ceramic in a well ventilated area.

Acetone evaporates very quickly, so make sure your container has a tightly sealing lid, but avoid a rubber seal if possible because acetone can degrade rubber.

Xylene doesn't present that much of an evaporation issue, but my wife swears it has an awful smell, so I use it in a different part of the house.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  03:08 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a small widemouth glass canning jar to soak coins in acetone. The lid seal is rubber and does degrade over time, but they are easily replaceable.

Good luck!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36447 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does Verdi-Care work on nickel? And where can you get it anymore?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No clue where VerdiCare can be found for sale. I am very safe guarding my last bottle.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14300 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does Verdi-Care work on nickel?

If it's PVC that's on the Nickle , Yes it does .

Quote:
I am very safe guarding my last bottle.

Yes , me too ! I can sell it to you but then I would own your house and all your assets .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thoughts on how many to do at a time as I have 2 full rolls. Some have the bright green slime all over, and some are just sticky from being in with them. I am thinking of soaking the really bad ones by themselves. Thanks everyone for your insights and expertise!
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ethan Parmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please send photos. I am interested in exploring this "sticky green mess".
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 937Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05