Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 S $10 Liberty - S Mint Mark Wrong Location?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 365Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I am working on a bulk purchase of some gold coins for what I believe to be a good price... Despite the pictures low res, most coins seem to be the genuine mccoy - especially given their weights are correct.

That said, the mint mark on this 1880 S $10 coin is not in the same location as the PCGS or NGC specimen's when I searched their databases for relevant information.

Is the mint mark location an indicator that the coin is a fake, or is this something that is somewhat common or even rare but known to exist?

I appreciate any and all insight. Thanks in advance!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36483 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area,but on LMC' the mint mark was applied by hand on each working die,so the placement varies. Maybe the same for gold?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area either, but the mintage (506K) suggests to me the possibility of more than 1 reverse die.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a long way from where the mint mark should be. It should be left of the feathers on the arrow not under and to the right. So at first glance I think either the coin is altered to add the mintmark or it is fake. BUT not my specialty either so I will be glad to see some gold coin experts jump in and provide some input and possible opportunity to learn something.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, I appreciate the input! I did a quick search on eBay and found a single graded 1880 S with the same mint mark location (albeit with terrible pictures) ->

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193310410447

So, maybe John1 + Coinfrog are correct? Would love further clarification from a knowledgeable fellow collector!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I would have not thought a MM to be placed so far from where most you see are located but looks like it was. I pulled that coin up you linked us too on NGC as well to verify. Picture is still not great but clearly shows MM well to the right of what I call "normal" placement. I have learned something today
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not my expertise as I'm mostly a Morgan dollar collector, but to me the coin looks a bit "off". The mintmark is definitely in the wrong place, although I have seen the S mark in the same location on other specimens, but I don't know if they're fake or not. My recommendation is to not buy any gold coins that are not certified, as they are a favorite target for counterfeiters. A wrongly-placed mintmark is a telltale sign of a fake coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6667 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John 1 an Coinfrog. The graded specimen likely corroborates as well. This variable degree of placement continued even until fairly modern times. I know there is a 1975 D nickel sought after b/c the MM almost touches the date.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Morgan Nerd

I think the coin is fine otherwise, I have a good number of graded and ungraded gold coins in my collection... That said, when I can buy gold at melt/spot, I don't really care if they are ungraded. I only bother with graded or grading coins if I feel they are MS 64/better or incredibly rare. I have a sigma metalytics Precious metal verifier pro, so worst case scenario I know what I have is gold - and if it is not I either don't buy or get my money back if it was an online auction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5317 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a certified example in the Heritage Auction archives with identical mintmark placement so that feature seems not to be a problem. The coin surfaces look non-original but detail is close to uncirculated. This is common gold coin; looks authentic to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36483 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42,
The mint stopped hand punching mint marks in 1990,1989 was the last year for RPM's.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05