Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 S $10 Liberty - S Mint Mark Wrong Location?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 641Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I am working on a bulk purchase of some gold coins for what I believe to be a good price... Despite the pictures low res, most coins seem to be the genuine mccoy - especially given their weights are correct.

That said, the mint mark on this 1880 S $10 coin is not in the same location as the PCGS or NGC specimen's when I searched their databases for relevant information.

Is the mint mark location an indicator that the coin is a fake, or is this something that is somewhat common or even rare but known to exist?

I appreciate any and all insight. Thanks in advance!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40023 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area,but on LMC' the mint mark was applied by hand on each working die,so the placement varies. Maybe the same for gold?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59272 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area either, but the mintage (506K) suggests to me the possibility of more than 1 reverse die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a long way from where the mint mark should be. It should be left of the feathers on the arrow not under and to the right. So at first glance I think either the coin is altered to add the mintmark or it is fake. BUT not my specialty either so I will be glad to see some gold coin experts jump in and provide some input and possible opportunity to learn something.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, I appreciate the input! I did a quick search on eBay and found a single graded 1880 S with the same mint mark location (albeit with terrible pictures) ->

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193310410447

So, maybe John1 + Coinfrog are correct? Would love further clarification from a knowledgeable fellow collector!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well I would have not thought a MM to be placed so far from where most you see are located but looks like it was. I pulled that coin up you linked us too on NGC as well to verify. Picture is still not great but clearly shows MM well to the right of what I call "normal" placement. I have learned something today
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not my expertise as I'm mostly a Morgan dollar collector, but to me the coin looks a bit "off". The mintmark is definitely in the wrong place, although I have seen the S mark in the same location on other specimens, but I don't know if they're fake or not. My recommendation is to not buy any gold coins that are not certified, as they are a favorite target for counterfeiters. A wrongly-placed mintmark is a telltale sign of a fake coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7282 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John 1 an Coinfrog. The graded specimen likely corroborates as well. This variable degree of placement continued even until fairly modern times. I know there is a 1975 D nickel sought after b/c the MM almost touches the date.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Morgan Nerd

I think the coin is fine otherwise, I have a good number of graded and ungraded gold coins in my collection... That said, when I can buy gold at melt/spot, I don't really care if they are ungraded. I only bother with graded or grading coins if I feel they are MS 64/better or incredibly rare. I have a sigma metalytics Precious metal verifier pro, so worst case scenario I know what I have is gold - and if it is not I either don't buy or get my money back if it was an online auction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5549 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a certified example in the Heritage Auction archives with identical mintmark placement so that feature seems not to be a problem. The coin surfaces look non-original but detail is close to uncirculated. This is common gold coin; looks authentic to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40023 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42,
The mint stopped hand punching mint marks in 1990,1989 was the last year for RPM's.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 641Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05