Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Flying Eagle Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 373Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  2:52 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won this 1857 Flying Eagle cent from an eBay auction, with a less than stellar photo, for $109. The coin looked nice but I really wasn't sure what I would receive.

Here is the seller's photo:

When it arrived today, I was pleased to see what I had won. The photos on the wood background show the details better. The photos with the blue background show the nice tan color, with hints of mint red, better.

The tail feathers are a bit weakly struck as is the right side of the wreath on the reverse. There are a few small scattered marks, including one by the eagle's tail.

The coin also has an interesting die crack (?) coming off the bottom of the U in UNITED.

Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not trying to be critical, but it's pretty weakly-struck. The mint must have had a bad day. Other than that it's a nice AU-50 piece!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9412 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with the super weak strike. looking at the breast and highest points of the left wing these areas are going to show the first wear. based on these areas the coin would be in the AU58 range but the weakness on both sides may knock this around 2 points. I can see it coming back as AU53 and 55 would not surprise me
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yhbearcats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52047 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 sounds right to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses to my post. I appreciate them.
Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21635 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure this one is genuine. Too many details just don't look right.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure I bid on this coin soley due to the die crack. I forget the variety, but hard to find. Nice coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05