Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 P Dime Struck Through Grease, Any Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 347Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
162 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have not been doing this very long and maybe I'm just easily amused but I find this going to be interesting I apologize for the quality of the pictures I am only relying on my phone for that but I do my best. Does anyone else find this as interesting as I do and is it worth keeping?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a photo of the rim, taken at an angle. Could be a dryer coin--rim characteristics need to be determined.
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks kinda interesting to me. I see a coin struck from tired dies, perhaps with a small die crack at about 2 o'clock on the obverse. On the rev, there appears to be a slight rim fin, which I think can occur if the coin is struck with one die at a slight angle. I'm interested to hear what others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47416 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rim fins are on the outside edge of the rim, not the inside edge of the rim.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to know what what rim finning is. I actually have coins with those characteristics and I think this may be one of them but it is also in surprisingly good condition for its age and the hole thing is blurred out. Would rim finning actually cause that? Hoping these pictures help you decide. Just remember my camera is horrible.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47416 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the inner edge I feel it is like Machine Doubling, but looseness of the machine allowing the rim to be affected. (Die tilting slightly)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I can get on board with you on that but why are the details of the coin all blown out like that? It's not damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2547 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin looks like it was struck with late stage dies. I think that's why you see the starburst like metal flow lines on the coin. The smeary weak details could be from design-devouring die wear mostly seen on the reverse of your coin. Many dimes of the early/mid eighties have missing and weak details as the dies were used far beyond the point that they should have been retired.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, that's informative. Much appreciated. And so all of that being said, is it worth keeping?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47416 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only if you want to save it as an educational piece to show to a new collector. But it is pretty much a face value coin.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 347Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05