Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 P Quarter Weighs 5.75 Gm?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 260Next Topic  

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have 3 1979 quarters. Two weigh 5.58 grams and this one weighs 5.75gm. I can find no info. explaining that. Could it be 40 % silver? If so it seems it would be valuable.

Thanks for your help again.

Jim Bee

Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jb, first can you confirm that your balance is measuring other items accurately? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, it is measuring properly. I have been weighing pennies,nickels and quarters for months now and it is always right on.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have about 50 quarters in front of me that I have weighed and this is the only one that is abnormal.
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok good to know--better to know that the weight is real. This quarter seems to be a bit on the high side of mint tolerance, but that edge shot tells me that it is clad and not silver.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36500 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not look silver,but you could do the tissue test if you want to.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Would that hold true if it was 40% silver clad composition?
I wish I had a bicentennial quarter to look at the edge.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47421 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In order to be a 40% silver planchet, it would have to had been struck on half stock and in 1965-1967 or 1976 40% silver stock. That is too many years away from that event to even happen.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, That's a new one.
My wife and I did the tissue test 8 times without knowing which 1979 quarter was was right or left and each time the darker one was the 5.56 gm coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47421 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tissue test will show silver as lighter than a clad:

You need to have a silver coin to complete this test. One clad, one silver.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
9481 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no chance it is 40% silver so you need not consider that.

Weight tolerance for modern clad U.S. quarter dollars is 5.44 grams to 5.90 grams. That is "as struck" from the mint(s).
ANA #R3154474
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05