Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 CT Quarter Die Adjustment Strike Or Grease Filled Die?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 473Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  5:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need a little help diagnosing this quarter. It can be either one if you ask me. I don't know what are the differences between the two types of errors. Any help appreciated. Thanks again

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36506 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a Greaser,a weak strike would have very weak looking rims.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47431 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks john1 and lawest. I appreciate the help. I wasn't sure because of the strong bust and weak letters. I didn't know the weak strike had weak rims also. Good info. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. Pictures always help to get the full understanding.
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me or does the rty look doubled?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17617 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Greaser.

with a die adjustment strike, lower parts of the design are well struck up, but the higher points are either weekly struck or even not at all.
With high grade examples of die adjustment strikes, radial mint luster in the fields can still be still be present.
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sel 69l. So it would be the opposite of what I have. Stronger letters weaker bust. That makes sense. The bust being the lowest shows the least detail. Good to know
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47431 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The DDO's on the States and ATB Quarters are 98% of the time on the center earlobe and motto close in devices. So it would RTY would not be hub doubling. You are looking at the outside edges of the devices. Hub doubling has spread in the centers of the devices.

Note the spread on the centers of the motto?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. Although the devices look on the normal side in most parts the right arm of the Y looks extra thick and above the right leg on the R also looks extra thick. To me at least. Just something I noticed. Looks kinda weird or different than normal
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a pic of my doubled die with a different hub doubling rotation. Looks similar to me that's why it caught my attention. Thought it was strange on this coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36506 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to read what Mike thinks,greaser or weak strike or both?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks john1. Went on error-ref and looks like a weak strike is possible for this one as the dollar coin illustrated there also has a fully struck bust and the letters are not present towards the rim. I was going off memory when I saw the fully struck center and thought it looked like something I saw before labeled die adjustment or something to that nature. Now I know the correct general term is weak strike. I wonder if this could be one. The examples on error-ref are completely missing the outer design elements but I guess it could be a possible
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47431 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The devices appear normal in size, no DDO. Contact marks altered them:
Richard S. Cooper

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05