Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 S Liberty Half Dollar Indentations Or Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 531Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  3:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Raven2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I have a 1943 S Liberty half dollar with some intriguing indentations that went unnoticed until recently. Any thoughts on what these are or how they came about? Thank you.

Learn More...
United States
94180 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37095 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I can not think of anyway that would happen during the minting process,so I would say it is PMD of some kind.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53474 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like deliberate damage.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3266 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
someone was playing with a metal punch..PMD..
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raven2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone mentioned to me the terminology of a Rockwell test mark, so I'm definitely not going to rule out error just yet, due to the fact the holes are all consistant. My camera does it no justice at all. Wont get my hopes up though. Thank you for the replies!!
Learn More...
United States
18222 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone mentioned to me the terminology of a Rockwell test mark, so I'm definitely not going to rule out error just yet, due to the fact the holes are all consistent.

@raven, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm quite sure that the hardness testing theory was debunked. This definitely looks like damage to me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3266 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, don't give up on us, we are only going to provide you with our opinions..

ie.. rockwell test would be in one spot only.. this coin is someone's plaything.. it is damaged..
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raven2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thank you much!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20009 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
someone was playing with a metal punch..PMD

just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 531Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05