Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Question: The 1976 Quarter

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,616Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  5:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI all, another question:

The 1976 quarter... if I have read things correctly, there is the "normal" version, proof version, and a partly silver version.

What I am not sure about is if the silver version was actually put into circulation or just issued for collectors?

AND I am having trouble telling apart the normal vs. silver versions in photos I see. As with any digital image, things vary by camera/scanner, computer monitor settings, etc.

How can I tell if I find a silver one? Will it sound different? Is it any shinier than the normal version, but less so than a proof?

JD
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37260 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver will weigh 5.75 grams and clad 5.67 grams. You can also do the tissue test.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tissue test! HA!

Come on now... are you pulling my proverbial leg? If not, that is COOL!

All I have is my postal scale, so I can't do the weigh-in.
Edited by Nells250
11/08/2020 6:42 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the edges of clad quarters should be a half copper and half silver color, a pure silver quarter will be a solid silver all the way around.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is there actually a silver 1974 quarter? Not sure I see that they made them in silver that year. I know the last silver quarters in circulation were from 1964, and in 1974 there was a clad proof, but I don't see silver off the bat?
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silverstash119
Quote:
is there actually a silver 1974 quarter?
NO, not in 1974, but the OP is writing about the 1976 quarter.

Nells250 Yes, the 1976 'Drummer Boy' quarter was made in silver, in both a 'circulated' finish and a 'proof' finish, though neither was actually circulated.
Learn More...
United States
18333 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All I have is my postal scale, so I can't do the weigh-in.

Best to spend the $10 or $20 and get yourself a useful digital scale.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, not sure why my brain saw 1974.... whoops. Dyslexic moment I guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are five versions not counting varieties and errors.

'76 (P) clad
'76-D clad
'76-S 40% ag
'76-S 40% ag (from high speed press)
'76-S 40% ag PRF

The clads were made for circulation and the ag was made for collectors and few circulated.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20023 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try Amazon for a scale.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
'76-S 40% ag
'76-S 40% ag (from high speed press)
I assume strike and relief may be signs to differentiate these. Any other tells?
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"AG" ?

As for the scale, I am unfortunately not in a very good financial position at the moment so I would REALLY NEED that style scale to spend the money on one. The one I have helps me ship out Ebay items, so it has "earned its keep"!

;-)

Soooooo both the silver proofs and non-proofs were sold by the mint, not put into circulation. And if a standard silver was found IN circulation, it would be because someone broke up a year set or something?

Looking at the edge is something I should have thought of

I actually have one '76 that is nicer than the rest I have kept, so I better go take a peek at it. Aren't they only part silver, too?
Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"AG" ?
40% silver.

Quote:
And if a standard silver was found IN circulation, it would be because someone broke up a year set or something?
Correct. It was inherited, lost, stolen, or otherwise spent.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were 40% silver like the '65-'70 Kennedy halves and the silver Eisenhower dollars. 80% silver outer layers bonded to a 20.9% silver inner core. However, unlike the regular coins with a copper core, you can't really see the sandwiched layers.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do they get "40% silver" from "AG"? You coin guys... I dunno...

CptJava - now WHY is that?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37260 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver is a chemical element with the symbol Ag and atomic number 47. A soft, white, lustrous transition metal, it exhibits the highest electrical conductivity, ...
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05