Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS Around The World: Paris Office, Condition Census 1815/2 Capped Bust Half Discovery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - The dream of an undiscovered numismatic rarity persists with dealers and collectors around the world. Such a find was recently made in a submission to the PCGS Europe office in Paris in the form of a rare date Capped Bust Half Dollar. Left forgotten in a coin collection for over 50 years, this coin just now came to light and is a new addition to the top-condition pieces for this date.

1815 /2 50c PCGS MS63

The 1815/2 Capped Bust Half Dollar has always been a rare date in the series. With a mintage of only 47,150, all were produced with the single die pair that features an overdate with the remains of a 2 under the 5 of the date, making every 1815 an 1815/2. This issue is the lowest mintage among circulation strikes in the Capped Bust Half Dollar series. It is believed that striking of the 1815/2 Half Dollars occurred in the end of 1815 and beginning of 1816, prior to the fire at the United States Mint in Philadelphia, which brought a temporary end for production of coinage there except for cents dated 1816. The entire mintage for the 1815/2 Half Dollar was turned over to the Treasurer on January 10, 1816. With research done by R.W. Julian, it is believed that the entire mintage of 1815/2 Half Dollars dollars may have been paid out to a single depositor, Jones Firth and Co., a firm that was very active in international trade. So, many of these coins may have ended up overseas in trade and likely later melted.

The 1815/2 Half Dollar has always been a desirable coin. And with a boom in United States numismatics following the end of Large Cents in 1857, date collectors for United States coinage realized quickly that 1815 Half Dollars were scarce and could fetch premiums over face value before the 1860s. As early as 1859, the American Numismatical Manual by Montroville W. Dickeson classified the 1815 Half Dollar as very rare. In 1941 B. Max Mehl wrote in the William Forrester Dunham sale catalog that he doubted if as many as six 1815s exist in uncirculated condition. Fast forward to today, with certification and research, we can trace the known surviving coinage from 1815/2 Half Dollars and the grades they have been given. Believed to be the finest example, the Kaufman coin, once a PCGS MS65+, now resides in an alternative grading company's MS66+ holder. The second-finest known is the D. Brent Pogue piece, which sold in 2019 for $111,625 and is graded PCGS MS65. The Pogue coin is the piece that B. Max Mehl wrote about in 1941 and had also been owned by Reed Hawn. There are two graded PCGS MS64+, including the Louis E. Eliasberg coin once from the John H. Clapp Collection and the Eric P. Newman specimen that once resided in the Colonel E.H.R. Green Estate. The PCGS census shows an additional three examples in MS64 and four in MS63.

Read the Entire Article
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53774 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great read as always, thanks.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darren john to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello New here and first post

I found this site by searching for information about this coin.

I own it and may be looking to sell, I've spoken to a couple of US auction houses but not convinced its the best way to go. I looked at previous auction prices and have been told only 3 MS graded coins have been sold in the last 10 years, they are keen for me to sell the coin buy with no reserve

The last MS 64 Coin sold in 2019 PCGS value $95,000

(39491 Aug-2019 $96,000 MS64 PCGS Heritage Auctions 2019 August 14-18 ANA U.S. Coins Signature Auction Chicago, IL Auction 3750)

Just one grade higher and I have been told mine is a much rarer coin being an overton 101 die.

PGCS values mine at $70,000

I guess the coin auction valued mine at up to $58,000 because they add 20% buyers fee bringing the coin close to PCGS value.

I have left the coin with a London Coin dealer he has had a couple of offers he has also listed in E-bay Usa

Im not a coin collector but do have quite a lot now.

I think I would rather sell to a collector, Any ideas anyone
I dont think the coin will sell in England really needs to go home to the USA

a US Coin magazine did an article recently

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...-half-dollar

Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hello New here and first post
to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3655 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats , but the price in 63 Greysheet is 45 K USD .
Good Luck with what London Coin is trying to get!
Rather optimistic! @ 125K
Edited by Pacificoin
12/17/2020 12:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6889 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Great read - thanks!
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
12/17/2020 12:59 pm
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darren john to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely agree the London coin dealer sent the coin to PCGS for me I left the coin with him on sale or return
I do think he's asking to much
Heritage said may make $58,000 but they add 20% so getting close to 70k
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05