Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1901 P Barber For Grading - First Post

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 316Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Penz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. This is my first post. I want to thank all of you for the many informative posts you make. I have greatly enjoyed trying to learn Barber half grading by reviewing many of these posts. Very useful and educational indeed.

This said I am new to collecting Barbers. Have been reading the books and posts both on the subject. I am a young retiree with a limited coin budget say 500 a month would be doable. I would like to build a date/ mint set over time with a goal of VF type coins eventually although am ok with lesser where budget will prohibit a key date that nice etc.

I had the pleasure of sitting at a local dealer for the first time and spending a couple hours with a loupe I purchased under a nice proper incandescent light looking at a box of 2x2s mainly G and AG with a very few nicer pieces in there. I really liked the picture coin and wonder if you folks can tell me what you think on grade and explain to me how it arrived at the exact appearance it has how did it end up toned like this with a cameo sort of appearance etc? I am unsure on lots of this sort of knowledge at this time as a newbie.

Many thanks. Kevin

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason there are some tiny bright dots in some of the dark fields that seem like photo artifacts created when resized they dont appear on the coin or in the original pics and are undefined tiny light blobs. Just a heads up I will need to work on my jpg resizing in the future it appears.

K
Pillar of the Community
United States
7649 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! Looks about F15 to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52071 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree F-15.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14299 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Well you have a VF-20 coin with what is called circulation cameo which is a good thing . There are some small issues with the rims on both sides . Your coin displays full but worn LIBERTY again a good thing . You say your new and just getting into Barbers ; Any serious Barber collector would want Liberty to show at least 4 or 5 of the 7 letters . The more the better . Always try to go for a full rim coin which yours is and on the reverse E.PLURIBUS UNUM showing all letters . And of cause you don't want any problem coins like heavy scratches , bad hits ,dents ,etc. Good luck collecting .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcomes as well as your insights folks.

I appreciate this. I found that I personally liked this coin looks-wise as compared to some nice PCCS slabbed MS level coins which were bright white and some of the lesser grade coins which looked dipped or phony white. Seems like the original toning appeals more to my eye.

What are the issues with the rims that you noted? I have no knowledge on this other than wanting them to be not gouged or damaged and to have a raised 3D sort of look to them.

Thanks
K
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks VF-20 to me with a very attractive circulation cameo appearance. Stick with problem-free coins with nice original surfaces like this, and you won't go wrong. Very nice buy!
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Quote:
with a very attractive circulation cameo appearance
Pillar of the Community
United States
1410 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking, problem free circulated example! I think it just makes VF-20 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1652 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Barber halves or dimes & quarters too? With a 500/mo budget I think you can do better than VF for a lot of them. I would also put a tiny part of your budget into the Guidebook of Barber Silver Coins by Q David Bowers if you don't already have it, and invest a whopping $15 into a membership in the Barber Coin Collectors' Society (BCCS) and start getting their quarterly journal. Their website also has links to online copies of the reference books by David Lawrence.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the warm greetings and great information.

Quote:
Just Barber halves or dimes & quarters too? With a 500/mo budget I think you can do better than VF for a lot of them. I would also put a tiny part of your budget into the Guidebook of Barber Silver Coins by Q David Bowers if you don't already have it, and invest a whopping $15 into a membership in the Barber Coin Collectors' Society (BCCS) and start getting their quarterly journal. Their website also has links to online copies of the reference books by David Lawrence.

Just the halves at this time. I have the Bowers book as a reference / required reading and will join the BCCS today. Great idea. The Lawrence book I have linked and read through it once. Fascinating stuff.

Kevin

Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

i agree with the VF20 assessment. I also agree that with a budget of $500/mo I would be on the lookout for a little higher grade coins and take a little longer to complete your set. just a personal preference that I buy the best coins I can afford. two things to consider. do you want them all to look consistent? such as all VF coins or doesn't it matter to you if you had some lower end coins and/or higher end coins mixed in. most collectors do the later and replace any lower end ones later. if I was going for this set I would be looking for as close to XF as possible as these going to increase in faster than the VF's
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would be on the lookout for a little higher grade coins and take a little longer to complete your set. just a personal preference that I buy the best coins I can afford. two things to consider. do you want them all to look consistent? such as all VF coins or doesn't it matter to you if you had some lower end coins and/or higher end coins mixed in. most collectors do the later and replace any lower end ones later. if I was going for this set I would be looking for as close to XF as possible as these going to increase in faster than the VF's

I appreciate this advice. I like the look of the original finish a lot on the one I posted pics of. The better VF and XF level coins should look awfully nice in this sort of finish and make for an enjoyable collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! The circulation cameo is nice. I'm getting close to completing the Barber quarter Dansco set. I have many sets in progress. My set is low grade problem free coins with battleship grey original coloring and circulated cameo. VG-VF. If you could put together a set with the look of the coin in your pics it would be a beautiful set! Welcome to the forum!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 13.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05