Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are PCGS Tru-View Photos Really "True?"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 438Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
346 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As PCGS TRU-VIEW photos proliferate, I am seeing many sellers posting TRU-VIEW pictures with e-bay and some auction listings (I think on the auction part, I may be mis-remembering).. This is quite understandable as they are professionally taken, and many sellers cannot hope to do as well. Also why pay for the add on if you can't use the picture?
Unfortunately, I have often found the TRU-VIEW pictures to appear to be enhanced.
As an example, last summer I bought a PCGS XF45 1845 LSD from an Ebay dealer who has been around a long time. The TRU-VIEW showed very attractive colorful toning rings around both rims. The accompanying photos of the coins in the holder showed the toning rings as a dark gray, a look I still found attractive. The TRU-VIEW screamed "buy me" the photos in the holder didn't scream, but I still liked the coin enough to buy it, and I am happy with it.
When the coin arrived, it didn't look anything like the TRU-VIEW. It looked exactly like the picture in the holder. Rotating and changing lighting allowed me to see some, but not all of the TRU-VIEW toning. It is very difficult to rotate the coin to any color revealing position.
Since then I have made many similar comparisons between TRU-VIEW and holder pictures and found much the same thing. I have concluded I cannot trust the TRU-VIEW pictures on toning color, and many of the nice looking toned photos seem like they have minimized the visual impact of blemishes, which often seem less evident than in holder pictures.
Am I out of my mind, or are others having similar experiences? I'd like your thoughts,
By the way, I found long ago that many sellers tilt or light their coins to make them look their best. I have made a practice, which I recommend to all, to look at the holder photos when available. It seems like they are often taken in a perfunctory manner and are not carefully presented to make the coin look good. They can give a straight presentation of the coin which might look a lot more like the coin being sold will look in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53678 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, TRU-VIEW images typically exaggerate the appeal of a coin. Just my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tru-View in my opinion is like an enhanced view that your coin doesn't look like. Kind of like the pictures taken by "Eagle Eye" coins. Yes its an actually picture but saturation/vibrance is turned up as is contrast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my limited experience it cuts both ways. They seem to have problems with highly reflective coins looked brown and lifeless. I don't think they manipulate the images, but rather the lighting. I find them a good resource for examining very small details like whether hairlines are die polish, etc but don't expect them to really be "true" views.

Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On several occasions I have found the TrueView photos to be less appealing than the photos taken by the eBay seller or the professional auctioneer, especially when PCGS over-saturates the photo.
I think NGC is much better in this regard.
Edited by NumisEd
11/24/2020 4:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I use direct sunlight (from a window) or my high-lumen "natural temperature" desk lamp to view my coins they appear very close to their TrueView representation. My normal overhead lighting does not cut it.

Of course, all I have are Ikes, so your mileage may vary.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add benv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I primarily collect 19th century proofs, and my experience has been that TrueView is a much better indicator of color and in-hand look than all but the best dealer-taken pictures. It's notoriously difficult to get a good picture of toned proofs, and the TrueView definitely shows the coin at its best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7743 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found that imaging coins has to do with lighting, angle and patience. I, apparently do not possess any of the three. I have been very satisfied with the TrueView images.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1727 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take all my photos with natural light, using a cell phone overhanging a stack of books, and the coin on a dark cloth background. That at least produces a consistency that allows for some comparison. I don't (and won't) buy or sell on eBay.

One way to adjust for the TPG photos is to use freeware to adjust their pics. By sliding the lighting, contrast, color, and sharpness back and forth, the range of appearance likely includes the actual appearance. I pause when I see something revealed by adjustment that was hidden by the photo that was uploaded.

The better dealers offer a variety of views, including lighting, coin angles, and contrast adjustments. They are also willing to supply additional photos on request. It goes back to the old adages: know the coin, know the dealer, and be sure of return privileges.

Just some thoughts from the curmudgeon's corner.
Edited by fortcollins
11/26/2020 3:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is all simply advertising. Ever watch TV and see those auto photos of new cars. Ever notice that although they may be going over dirt roads the tires are clean? It may be Sunny, shady, dusty but the cars are always clean. And not just clean but as shining as much as possible. It is just advertising. Same with those coins.
just carl
CCF Advertiser
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  03:53 am  Show Profile   Check Paradime Coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in our opinion the answer would depend on the type of coin. for ms coins they look real in hand, for proof coins it doesn't look like in hand as you only see the color when tilted to the light as it reflects of the fields. it doesn't mean its deceptive, but just that it shows the full color when tilted and reflected as opposed to non-tilted. we love them ofcourse
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05