Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 Lincoln With Light Strike On The 6

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 294Next Topic  

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  3:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zelos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all! Hoping someone could evaluate this 1956 Lincoln cent. It looks like there was an extremely light strike on the 6. I dont think it would be wear because of how strong everything else around it is. Opinions?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53719 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a slight grease-filled die issue.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2405 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking grease.
Learn More...
United States
18317 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@zelos, first welcome to CCF. Second, is there anything remarkable about the other side of this coin? Please post an overall pic to this thread if you can. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47883 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone wiped the die down and filled the '6'. Note also the Liberty and motto is showing a reduction of these devices. So the die was polished a few times during the dies life. (The polishing down of the fields reduces size and height of the devices) Note how small the 'LI' on Liberty looks?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zelos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will post a pic of the reverse tomorrow. Working tonight. I dont recall anything standing out on the reverse but I cant say I have my eyes trained to see the things all of you see. Also, thanks for the welcome!
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zelos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the reverse of the coin.

Learn More...
United States
18317 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes perfect thx. I agree with the others that this coin was struck from a grease-filled die.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zelos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help. This community is awesome! So looking up information, it appears that grease-filled die issues are fairly common and unless it affects a larger portion of the coin, a couple letters or numbers does not add a premium. Is that correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47883 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. The value is, in knowing what you have. Then you can move on to the next coin, with what you have already learned. See it again, know that, move on to the next coin. The more you learn, the faster to get an identifying a coin. If common, move on the to next coin. Find something that's not familiar, then ask.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zelos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well to be honest, everything is unfamiliar right now! Lol. But I will learn and then won't have to bug everybody for every little thing! Again, just joined but already learned a lot. Appreciating this community!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47883 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well we are glad your here. Very heavy amounts of grease can prevent a lot of blockage of the strike:

Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05