Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 D Kennedy Clad Half Dollar Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 260Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Perkycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to coin roll hunting. This clad 1971 D Kennedy half appears to have an error on reverse. It seems the top of the Kennedy head from obverse has struck through slightly. It can be seen from F-DOLL to under the bottom arrow head. It can also be seen under olive branch by the bottom Eagle toe.

My questions are
-How common is this? I cannot find any information on this error.

I will try again to upload picture if it doesn't work with this initial post.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perkycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
18,290 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@perky, first welcome to CCF. Second, are you talking about those surface striations on the coin around the tail feathers? That might be due to the die striking this coin being tired.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might be progressive indirect die transfer, but pics of the whole coin would be more telling
Bedrock of the Community
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perkycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This image shows better. You can see a perfect outline of Kennedy's head.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47,858 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a clash overlay:

Looks like part of a die clash issue to me. Although not as fresh, but slowly going away when the field metal on the outside of the die, continues to age.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17,164 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PIDT Progressive Indirect Design Transfer, not a clash.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
94,433 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05