Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Lincoln Wheat Cent- Doubled Die Obverse FS-103 ANACS VF-35

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 586Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This popped up last week on eBay. I needed to upgrade this one for my collection and this looked like a nice problem-free example. I threw in a low bid and ended up winning it for $14.99 without having to bid against anyone else. Something I noticed about this particular example is the doubling that is present inside of the 9 which I haven't seen pointed out on other examples. How did I do on this one?

-CH27

Edit: updated the reverse photo

Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Edited by CoinHunter27
11/29/2020 12:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53574 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great example and nice close-ups. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shweet! !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8069 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Extremely well struck up, though I'm not sure about that inside doubling, more similar to MD from these pics than hub doubling
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you all! GC, I don't think it is MD. I think that would look more flat and reduced rather than enlarged like this. I do agree this is a very well struck example. I still need FS-101 and FS-102 but this was such a nice example to not bid on.

-CH27

Edit: took a photo with a different light angle. The "inside doubling" appears to follow the strong point of doubling in the shape of the 9. I think it is hub doubling but feel free to share your opinion!

Edited by CoinHunter27
11/28/2020 7:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a nice example of the third major doubled die of the 41-P LWC series, better than my lone raw G-6 example. The doubling shows up nicely, congrats!
Edit 1:
@CH27: Thanks, I found this variety years ago while searching 5,000 count wheat cents.
@GC: This variety is classified FS-103 and exhibits offset hub doubling (class IV). The famous 1983-P DDR, and the 1984-P DDO, (doubled ear), LMC are also examples of offset hub doubling.
Edit 2:
To my knowledge there are 9 different classes of doubled dies; can you name each class and also give an example of a coin that represents its specific class of doubling? This is for anyone...
Edited by Finn70
11/28/2020 9:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Finn! Hey, a G06 example is better than no example at all! This is a tough variety to find so I'd congratulate you on your example as well!

Edit: this die has a spread similar to many of the big ones we hunt after. If it got a full squeeze then it would have been a monster.

-CH27
Edited by CoinHunter27
11/28/2020 9:09 pm
Learn More...
United States
18275 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice pick-up to be sure, but your close-up pics through the slab are really well done.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Spence! I struggle not to capture the slab imperfections in the photos but I'm glad they came through okay!

-CH27
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2925 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that one and it was so low-priced I almost tossed a bid at it, but it's not an upgrade for me so figured I'd pass and let someone else get the deal. Happy it was a member of the CCF, and congrats on a great coin at a great price!

This is quite the early die state, and I agree that it is possible there is hub doubling showing inside the 9. Can't be sure, but it does look that way and certainly could show up there on an early die state coin. Good eye to see that bit.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where do you get pictures like that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice crisp doubling, and in a nice slab too. Amazing pictures by the way. Quite the pickup, congrats on an awesome coin.
Cherrypicker/Error Collector
Best Coins:
1902 Indian cent Off Center
http://goccf.com/t/376888
1972-D Lincoln Cent Major Die
Break
http://goccf.com/t/376595
1964-D LMC Capped Die PCGS MS63RB
http://goccf.com/t/389752
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bats! The sellers pics weren't great but I could see the doubling quite strongly even with the blurry pics so I knew it was going to be a nice coin. It is an upgrade from the one I found a wheat bag and that one Certainly isn't the prettiest. I remember the MS example you found In a roll a little while back and I was wondering if you ever got that one in a Slab? That one is quite the looker.

-CH27
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you QuarterHoarder!

Tippy I use a cheap clip on macro lens on my phone and a ottlite lamp. It's nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

-CH27
Edited by CoinHunter27
11/28/2020 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2925 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, haven't slabbed that one (yet). Just figured it would struggle in at maybe MS-62 so hasn't been at the top of the list to get slabbed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understandable considering some of the varieties you've accumulated after that one.Thank you again!

-CH27
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 586Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05