Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On 2020/2021 Supplies?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 707Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  6:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Evening All,

I recently inherited a coin collection that is a bit "scattered" there are various coins and years, there are Pennies through Dollars every common denomination. All types, from Indian Head through Shield Cents, Liberty through Jefferson nickels, Mercury & Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters 1962-2020, Franklin & Kennedy half dollars, Morgan dollars, Sacagawea, Presidential, Innovation. I think I named most, I'm sure not all, of them, I was just trying to show it a pretty extensive collection. The biggest issue is, it was left very unorganized, in a variation of flips, coin capsules (note these are in rough shape as they were just kept in a chest.) Now after the backstory let's get to my question...haha

I feel this collection is something to be proud of, if it could get organized. I am looking for advice on how to do so. For instance, I know a good bit of you love Dansco albums (Which I must admit do look very sharp), however they seem to be non existent at this time. Other albums seem to be "missing" spaces for coins. (i.e. I have yet to find any supplies that have spaces for the West Point Coins as well as San Francisco Business Strike Quarters.)

I do know from my own research CAPS Albums have most spaces for those mentioned above but, that would involve putting most of those coins in capsules or re-putting others in fresh non-scratched capsules. This would cost thousands of dollars to get all the CAPS albums and capsules needed for these coins. (This is not feasible in my immediate budget.)

So very long story short, please if anyone has any advice, even if it something I mentioned and you can make me look at things from another "side" of things. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14588 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a large collection like that you might want to purchase cardboard 2x2'S to holder most of those coin as the 2x2's are very cheap and if boxed correctly will hold up very well . You can also consider plastic tubes to hold quantities of certain coins . Their are many ways to protect your coins . Look into this supply company ,many of us do : https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/pr...-140593409-c
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks T-BOP. I read good and bad things about flips. Correct me if I am wrong, 2x2 cardboard flips are just as good as any coin supply, because it is where you store your coins more than anything, is that correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6860 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2X2s are the way to go when you have volume. And, yes, storage method is all important.

Also make SURE you either use a flat clinch stapler or use a pair of pliers to carefully flatten the back of the staples once your coin has been stapled into the 2X2. The reason being that it is not difficult to accidentally have a staple from one 2X2 scrape and put a hole in the plastic of another 2X2. This result in not only damage to the coin, but over time that hole allows exposure to the elements.
Another thing you may want to look into is the 3 ring binder pages that are made to hold 2X2s.

one other tip is I went to a local furniture shop and asked them to save the desiccant/silica gel packets they get inside the box with every furniture item that needs some assembly. In one month I had a grocery bag full.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
11/29/2020 9:14 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response Earle42! So question for you or anyone who might know....What is the difference between the Cowen's Mylar Cardboard Flips: https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/pr...nt-size.html and the HECO Mylar Cardboard Flips: https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/he...nt-size.html . Which is better? Is one better? As far as binder pages for 2x2 flips, is there a brand that stands above the others? Or a binder for that matter?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20013 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an starter you should purchase a copy of what is called the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. Available at Wizard coin supply or Amazon. Once you have this book, you can see what you really have. Also, I'm sort of a Whitman coin Album person so I suggest you look into the Whitman website for ideas of what is available in coin collecting.
just carl
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks just carl! I do have the book you mentioned, purchased it a month or so ago. I did consider Whitman Albums as their blue color is beautiful, but what turned me off was the missing spaces for West Point Quarters and Business Strike San Fran. Quarters, along with some reports of people saying the pages were falling apart, claiming to not be the same "quality" as Dansco. Is this something you've noticed? I know you're a Whitman guy so I'd love you hear your testimonial to how they have held up?
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried out both Whitman and Dansco albums, and would say that Dansco are without doubt the better of the two. The quality of Dansco albums is simply unmatched, however, they are more expensive than Whitmans, so in a way, you get what you pay for. For my collection, I initially tried a Whitman album because of how easy it was to get pages and because it was cheaper, but I have moved away from that album and over to exclusively Dansco. Whitmans are still functional and of a good quality, no doubt about that, but Dansco, to me, is far and away the better of the two and worth the cost.

On another note, Dansco albums can be tough to get right now, but the company actually just finished moving from California to Sumas, WA, and when covid hit their return to production got thrown out of whack. They are working on getting production back to the old norm.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14588 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the difference between the Cowen's Mylar Cardboard Flips (https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/pr...t-size.html) and the HECO Mylar Cardboard

I don't like Cowen , many don't line up right when you fold them over to be stapled . I'm not sure about the Heco .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks T-BOP! What brand of 2x2 flip, do you use?
Learn More...
United States
94270 Posts
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck! Do you have an opinion on anything discussed above? Either brand of flip that is best or another avenue to go down besides cardboard flips. I know I bought one brand of cardboard flips one time and it was covered in cardboard shavings and was very poor quality. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
94270 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bulk of my collection is in Dansco albums. As you mentioned above, they are rather scarce these days. The company recently moved from California to Washington state and hopefully will get back up to full production soon.

I do have some Dansco albums with 12-pocket vinyl pages for 2x2 cardboard holders, but in your case the 20-pocket pages in a three ring binder would be more economical and readily available.

I used to like the Cowens 2x2 holders, but as mentioned above the quality control seems to be down a bit as I have the same problems when folding. I have had better luck buying cheap no-name in bulk. Sure, I have to toss a few poorly made ones, but overall I am wasting a small number of them.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck! So It appears I need to do some searching for 2x2 flips, pages and binders. Thanks for all your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some local coin shops have used Dansco albums for sale--many albums are in very good to excellent condition (in my experience anyway). The variety of used Danscos will vary. In most cases, prices
(at the shop) are reasonable. Next time you're in a large metro area, check out a shop or two.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ijn1944! I might try and do that, because all I seem to be able to find with flips is bad reviews, that state nothing lines up and/or has dust particles all over them when they arrive which is bad for the coins. The issue is in my area there are not stores that sell flips in-person, so I am stuck buying online. So, I do not know condition of items until they arrive I can only go by reviews. Thanks to all that have helped. Anything else, links to reputable flips or other items it still appreciated.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 707Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05