Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967-P With Extra Material Around Edge. No Idea What It Might Be.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 561Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add No_Cents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've got a weird 1967-P with something going on around the rim. No idea what this is, any thoughts? It weighs 3 grams and the diameter is slightly smaller than a normal cent.

Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like an early-stage dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
2263 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No_Cents to the CCF!

i havent a clue either. to me it looks like a tire on a rim.

someone making jewelry manybe?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1807 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a commercial dryer coin
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add No_Cents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found hundreds of dryer coins over the years but never one like this, it is truly unique. Thank you for the info.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4630 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd really like to see a sharp close-up of this coin (near an edge).

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add No_Cents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some closer photos, if anyone knows how to upload or link to photos higher than 300KB on this forum, please let me know, that'd make it easier to show off the details.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4630 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your close-up photos are fine, no worries.... (300KB is the max file size, and as you see from your photos, plenty of details can be seen). Ok, I agree with everyone else, yours looks like the beginnings of a drier coin. Definitely post mint damage.

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW..I don't know, never seen a dryer coin (cent) look like that before....I'm on the fence about this being a dryer coin...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4630 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WOW..I don't know, never seen a dryer coin (cent) look like that before.

Every dryer coin has to start somewhere, yes? Regardless, PMD.
ša va bien aller

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add No_Cents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a strange one, I would expect a dryer coin to have more damage on the fields, devices, and the date. For this coin to have so much damage on the rim and edge but very little to the face of the coin is mind blowing. This is a first for me.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey No_Cents.
welcome
It is a pretty cool coin regardless
i haven't seen one like it before. But that doesn't mean they don't exist or are rare.
From what I have learned on this forum about errors and varieties, I am not sure if this can be done at the mint.
But on the same token, from what I have seen and learned about dryer damage I can not say that is what you have going on here..
It looks like damage after the mint, but I do not think the damage comes from a dryer. I think some times " dryer coin or damage" is too easily attributed to damaged coins of unknown source..
It looks to me like someone tried to wrap it in foil or something like that.
Curious to see what others think. In the meantime I will be researching " dryer coins"..
Pillar of the Community
United States
944 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very funny how this turned out!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A cent put inside a dime slot on a crank gumball machine and forced to rotate...?

Interesting to say the least.

smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
2207 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was in some type of bezel, then went through the dryer.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add No_Cents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see that as a possibility but the weight is still 3 grams.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05