Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About 70's And 80's Lincoln Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 921Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
238 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  05:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been noticing online that these coins are being auctioned off at ridiculous prices. Is this just a fluke or should I get in on the action myself? I know I could use the money.

I do understand that they are in excellent condition but I have a few of them as well.

Edited by My2cent
12/03/2020 06:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14646 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When something becomes uneasily found prices will go up . Supply and demand . Now I understand that I haven't been CRH in a very long time but I would imagine that Lincolns in the 70's & 80's in nice red condition are becoming very hard to find . So newbies who want to put a set together are forced to buy what they are unable to find . This is just a theory in my own opinion .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks T-BOP I appreciate the input. Oh and by the way I did pm you and I fixed my settings so I can get mail from others as well.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't looked on ebay in a while...but I recall full sets of LMC's going for very reasonable prices with the album. I know it takes away from the thrill of filling the hole yourself but something to consider?
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14646 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh and by the way I did pm you and I fixed my settings so I can get mail from others as well.

Hmm , I never got a PM from you .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, there are pricey coins that, to many, don't make sense
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes inexperienced collectors can drive the price of common coins up temporarily.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get carried away paying high prices. it's far less expensive to find nice BU rolls and they tend to go very cheap.

The problem with rolls is that some dates will usually have a lot of tarnished pieces or all will be tarnished but if you just spend those what's left will still cost only a few cent apiece usually. Some dates including most of the zincolns will be very ratty. You can also get very premium coins in mint sets for pennies over face value. These too are often tarnished though.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@My2cent I looked up a few of these, and I haven't noticed any outrageous prices ($1.00 for a single raw coin and $5.00ish for a roll, which, to my knowledge, is the price of buying pretty much anything specific on eBay, regardless of it's actual value). I would be curious to see some of the auctions that you're talking about if you're seeing higher ones, though.

With that said, I'm guessing that if there is an increase in value here, it's due to people pulling the copper ones from circulation in order to stack copper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just because someone lists something for a crazy price doesn't mean anyone buys it for that price. Check by completed listings instead to see where the market is.

Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to the PCGS website and look at records for these years and you will see what I am looking at.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@My2cent Still not seeing what you mean... On PCGS, I see no activity for non-error circulated coins from this era at all--and only a few bucks for 63+ MS examples, which, though slightly more than today's issues (say, $6 instead of $4) is pretty common across the board for moderns, since many collectors are willing to pay a few bucks for a specific uncirculated piece to fill a slot in their album. I mean--I guess that's something, but when you said ridiculous prices, I was imagining something more like $50 or $100 for low MS...

Not financial advice--but if I had a bunch of uncirculated copper cents, I'd probably hold on them in the hope that their value might go up substantially if people start melting down the copper cents and/or it becomes legal to do so...
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I just got from the website

Now do you know what I mean
Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, for coins graded MS67 they will command a premium. The coins from your pictures would most likely not grade that high and you would be spending more money to get them graded than for what you could sell them for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2420 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, MS67 or higher is rather key when it comes to (relatively) high $$ return. Really nice looking 70s and newer cents falling in the lower MS range drop way off in what one want to sell them for (noted errors aside). For me, I keep the very best cents I come across--MS 65 or better. Having done that over many years of roll hunting, I have a few tubes for each year and mint--70s and newer. Considering that billions and billions of cents were minted in this timeframe, finding higher-end MS examples isn't that difficult.
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS67 is a hard grade to come by. If you send in 100 cents and they all come back MS66
or lower you just lost a huge amount of $$ for grading. I've got 18 rolls of OBW 73-S
cents I'm just sitting on because I can't get any good value out of them. Also
a lot of other OBW copper memorial cents.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 921Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05