Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S PCGS Wouldn't Holder

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 514Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ok88beat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I sent in some coins for grading all were slabbed except for this 1909s Lincoln. It's a "woody" on the obverse and has peeling lamination on the reverse. the peeling is why they wont slab it I guess. Any thoughts on grading, and are there any collectors for woody/lamination combos. I buy and sell so trying to gauge the market for this random linc.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3704 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS does not holder peeling laminations, code 83. Probably not much of a market for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a die crack going from right wheat stalk (top) to rim?
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ok88beat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ijn1944 looks like a die crack to me it runs though the wheat stalk as well but that to is odd looking. This coin is just odd all around.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53559 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could have saved yourself a grading fee on that one.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ok88beat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog Yeah now I know. I sent a batch of 11 coins in to test how they would come back. It wasn't all bad news like this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14590 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin is just odd all around.

I agree , and it doesn't look like a woody to me .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53559 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lams are fun to put aside, but basically they don't work for serious date collectors.
Learn More...
United States
18266 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say that the lam makes it 2x2 worthy though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1971 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with T-Bop about questioning if it's even a woody. The lighter coloration is only on the surface of the coin. The high points have worn away and exposed the underlying copper.
I've always assumed ones like this have been recolored somehow.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53559 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woodies are not always two-sided, curiously enough. And certainly any 1909-S is 2X2 worthy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4561 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with T-BOP as well, this doesn't look at all like a woodie. I cannot be a woodie only on one side. Well, I take that back, it *could* be a woodie only on one side, but the odds are way, way against it. Have you ever seen a hunk of wood with woodgrain only on one side? Especially as thin as a cent? The improper alloy mix would run through the metal, so it only makes sense a similar "woodgrain" appearance would be noticeable on both sides of a coin.

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53559 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Disagree as noted.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting. I know now not to send in any LAM for grading. I agree with coinfrog, in that the improper alloy strips on obverse match direction of LAM on reverse. I believe lams are the ends of these improper mixing of alloys. There are also traces of the patterns on the reverse, just very faint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Coinfrog on this one. I remember running across a thread awhile back talking about a woody being almost "golden" such as this one, and it ws agreed that it was indeed a woody.

I believe this to be a woody, even though it isn't on the reverse.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The light shall never be engulfed by the flames of darkness. Even though night may devour, brightness shines, never defeated.
Enjoy the simplicities of life.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2718 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a woody to me, and there's a hint of the same streaking on the reverse. There are certainly woody collectors, but the value in this coin is the fact that it's a 1909-S, and for Lincoln date collectors, the unusual appearance and reverse lam will probably detract from its value.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 514Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05