Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 W Lincoln Penny Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 427Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a 2019 W Penny Reverse proof. It's in it's own sealed mint case. How does this get graded, or is it already considered a MS70 uncertified?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53459 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6846 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or is it already considered a MS70 uncertified?

Your question is akin to asking how much Burger King will charge you for a Big Mac. :)

No coins have a grade "as is" from the mint. The mint has nothing to do with the MS system. The MS system is used by third party grading ( TPG) companies to have people pay them for their opinion of a coin on a scale the TPG uses.

For the most part, don't waste your money. If you want it slabbed because you like the look of slabs, then by all means get it slabbed.

But...TPGs do not use any scientific method. So a slabbed coin broken out and resubmitted is never guaranteed the same grade again...even to the same company. So an MS69 graded coin today (if you break it out and pay to get it slabbed again) might come back an MS70 or MS68, or MS69 the next time. Its a gamble that people who know coins are willing to take if the difference in price between one little number means a mega-profit ad that same person thinks a slabbed coin could hit the higher level.

Please see this:
http://goccf.com/t/346174#2967242
and this:
http://goccf.com/t/130186
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
12/05/2020 2:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry bout the brightness. Best I can do.

Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry maybe this Obverse is better.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2695 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's in it's own sealed mint case.

Those came in a bag if I remember
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those came in a bag if I remember

It did, except when the bag was ripped and the cent escaped into the shipping box.
Edited by bzookaj
12/05/2020 7:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Came in a envalope with the silver proof set. First West point ment penny. Should I get something like that graded? It is the reverse penny.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the question is why you would want to get it graded. This coin was never intended to circulate, and with modern minting technology, you likely getting at coin in the PF68-69 range (unless your bag was ripped and the cent escaped into the shipping box...yikes). I see these selling on eBay raw for around $15. Slabbed graded at PF69, they are selling for around $23. It costs $16 plus shipping to have it graded (if you are already a member at PCGS), so you can do the math there.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just asking if I should. I'm new to the coin thing so I already know to wait at least a year before I send stuff off to grade. Just didnt know if I should do this one
Pillar of the Community
United States
3834 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only you can decide to having it graded, IMO no cheaper to buy one already graded ( Ebay PF-69 NGC cost me $14.50 with free shipping, if you watch the auctions you can get a good deal)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53459 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't agree more.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Sorry some question seen ignorant, but the info helps. Retired from the Marine Corps so I have nothing to do but this. Also helps me filter out petty coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1964 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the coin. And I agree grading is kind of an educated roll of the dice.
FYI- One dealer at FUN last year said Lincolns at PCGS costs him $5/coin plus shipping for solid date rolls (and there may have been a 100 coin minimum?
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20009 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd just put it in my Album.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think I will just keep it for my grandchild. It sure is a nice coin. Probably Out of the 11 coin silver proof set that's my favorite. Thanks guys
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 427Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05