Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Starting A Collection Of Big Silver

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 552Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  2:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After obtaining a bunch of miscellaneous odds and ends for my world silver coin collection, I have decided to focus on larger silver coins. Here is an 1875 5 francs coin I just picked up:

I also have a couple of British crowns on the way. If anyone has any suggestions for big silvers that aren't too expensive that I could add to my collection, I would love to hear them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup. How expensive is too expensive? German states thalers would be a great add to any collection. Some of them can get very pricy, but others in F-VF condition are pretty reasonable.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the material I have been targeting thus far has been in the $20-$30 range, though I'd consider anything up to about $50 if I like it enough. Ideally I like most of what I pick up to be backed by its intrinsic value, but I don't mind splurging occasionally.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3930 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing like vintage large silver. You can pick up quite a few in your price range. if you are only interested in the stuff that truly circulated, I would think that you have at least 100 types to pick up.

I personally also like vintage large copper, but it has no intrinsic value to speak of.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17863 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who are interested in World crown sized silver coins, at least one book reference should be essential:-

Krause Publications:
Standard Catalog of
WORLD CROWNS
and Talers
from 1601 to date

-the 'telephone book' for these issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably the easiest and cheapest way to obtain a copy these days, is via eBay.
Because this book is so useful as a reference, the shipping fees for a bulky item would be justifiable.
Edited by sel_69l
12/05/2020 6:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5013 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions for big silvers that aren't too expensive that I could add to my collection, I would love to hear them.

I like large silver coins that depict Liberty in a seated pose (akin to US Seated Liberty coinage). The Peru 1 Sol is one such coin. The coins are 0.900 fine silver, weigh 25 grams and are 37 mm in diameter.

VF/XF coins issued from 1893 to 1915 will fit nicely into your "Large Silver" plan and budget.

Here's what they look like (correct obverse is presented first):

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
12/05/2020 8:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
18187 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to second @sel's point about that helpful reference book.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you are only interested in the stuff that truly circulated, I would think that you have at least 100 types to pick up.

Sounds great, I am primarily interested in coins made for circulation since it actually has historical value. Otherwise I might as well just be buying bullion.

Quote:
Krause Publications:
Standard Catalog of
WORLD CROWNS
and Talers
from 1601 to date.

I was not aware of this reference before, but it sounds exactly like the sort of thing that would be useful for this.

Quote:
The Peru 1 Sol is one such coin. The coins are 0.900 fine silver, weigh 25 grams and are 37 mm in diameter.

I think I've seen some of those while browsing for coins. The design is very attractive, and you're right in that it looks a lot like our Seated Liberty coinage. Probably a lot cheaper than a Seated Liberty dollar, I imagine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One that quickly comes to mind is the Belgium 5 francs coin of the 1860s-1870s with a guy with a hipster beard (the infamous King Leopold II, a first cousin of QUeen Victoria).
There are a bunch of these up for auction on eBay right now.
Lithuania
18 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you consider only XIX century coins?
For the XX century my personal favorite would be Latvian 5 lats coins issued from 1929 to 1931.
It's big - 37 mm, thick and heavy enough to be treated as a big silver.
And yes It's beautiful yet original. It's also known as "Milda" - a common girl name in Latvia due to beautiful girl in national dress portrait on reverse.
You can easily pick one in a good shape - XF for around $30.

Edited by Ezhik_Lt
12/06/2020 4:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the XX century my personal favorite would be Latvian 5 lats coins issued from 1929 to 1931.

Very pretty coin. I will definitely keep my eye out for one of those.

I collect coins from any time period, as long as they were actually minted for circulation. So that would exclude, in particular, those modern gimmicky silver bullion coins and the like.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17863 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krause World Crowns and Talers (1,360 pages),
is my bible for World crowns pre 1900.
The World's leading authority on the subject was
John S. Davenport, who provided most of the background information for the production of this book.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ezhik, thanks for reminding all of us about this beautiful coin!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the look of the older Cuban Peso. But you won't be able to fine one on ebay.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
South African 5 shilling are pretty big too. I always have trouble getting them in a normal 2x2.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5013 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ezhik_Lt: Great Latvian 5 lati coin! I also like the look of the coin. I've added one to my collection as well.

Quote:
I love the look of the older Cuban Peso.

So do I! Here's a link to my type set of circulating Cuban Pesos (1915-1953):

A Trio of Silver Cuban Pesos

@Ariette: As you can see, you have many attractive and historical options for your new collecting pursuit. I wish you the best with it!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 552Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05