Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition Commemorative

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 462Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  10:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Though the souvenir half dollar struck for the 1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition, held in Chicago, had initiated the US commemorative coin program, commemorative medals were still popular with collectors in the 1890s. As such, not all groups seeking a US Mint-struck commemorative piece approached Congress with a request for a coin. Case in point, the 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition Association.

The group looked to stage an exposition "for the exhibition of the resources of the United States of America and the progress and civilization of the Western Hemisphere, and for a display of the arts, industries, manufactures, and products of the soil, mine, and sea." The Exposition was to showcase "the great staples of the transmississippi region which contributes so largely to domestic and international commerce." (Quotations are from the medal's authorizing legislation.)

The Exposition was held in Omaha, Nebraska from June 1 to November 1, 1898.

Rather than seek a coin, the Association pursued a Mint-struck commemorative medal and a medal it could use as an award for winning exhibitors. Congress passed a bill in 1896 that sanctioned the Exposition, appropriated funds for it, called for the US Government to participate in it and for the Mint to strike the aforementioned commemorative and award medals; the bill was signed into law by President Grover Cleveland on June 10, 1896.

The Treasury Department had an exhibit in the US Government Building in which it struck the medals on a traveling US Mint press. In its advertising, the Association referred to the medals as "Souvenir Coins" and alerted visitors to the fact that they could "witness" their striking at the Exposition.

The obverse of the medal was advertised as a composite of "forty-eight beautiful young women, from the twenty-four Western States and Territories." The portrait was said to idealize "the highest type of Western young womanhood." The medal's reverse featured a Native American on horseback spearing a bison on the Western plains. (Quotations are from the Association's advertising sheet for the medals.)

Per the Association's flyer for the medal, it was struck on planchets that were the same size as the US gold double eagle (34 mm), and was available in gold ($20), silver ($1) and gold-plated bronze ($0.25). It should be noted that the original standard reference work that includes the medal (i.e., So-Called Dollars by Harold E. Hibler and Charles V. Kappen) lists the medal in silver (HK-281), bronze (HK-282) and brass (HK-283) but not in gold or gold-plated. Have a look at the second example example of mine below; it is identified as a brass piece, but I think its appearance suggests it is gold-plated (based on comparisons to other Mint-struck pieces that are known to be gold-plated.)

US Mint Press at Exposition

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55923 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I've ever seen these before. Thanks for sure!
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending upon the accuracy of your photo and my monitor, the second coin doesn't look like brass to me, either. I've seen just about every brass alloy that exists from every stage ; mining through decomposition - and this ain't it ... if the grading services can't determine the presence of gold vs. less noble alloy, I'd be concerned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any info on the quantity that were struck? And were they all struck at the exposition?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10917 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2020  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really cool photo of the press. What a massive flywheel!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any info on the quantity that were struck? And were they all struck at the exposition?

My understanding is that all of the medals were struck at the Exposition and that a total of approximately 25,000 medals (across all metal types) were sold/struck.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
12/14/2020 9:39 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 462Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05